Object Wiki - What is the object?
What does the word object mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word object in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with object and anagrams of object.
Definitions of "object"
- Something perceptible by one or more of the senses, especially by vision or touch; a material thing. noun
- A focus of attention, feeling, thought, or action: an object of contempt. noun
- The purpose, aim, or goal of a specific action or effort: the object of the game. noun
- Grammar A noun, pronoun, or noun phrase that receives or is affected by the action of a verb within a sentence. noun
- Grammar A noun or substantive governed by a preposition. noun
- Philosophy Something intelligible or perceptible by the mind. noun
- Computer Science A discrete item that can be selected and maneuvered, such as an onscreen graphic. In object-oriented programming, objects include data and the procedures necessary to operate on that data. noun
- To present a dissenting or opposing argument; raise an objection: objected to the testimony of the witness. verb-intransitive
- To be averse to or express disapproval of something: objects to modern materialism. verb-intransitive
- To put forward in or as a reason for opposition; offer as criticism: They objected that discipline was lacking. verb-transitive
- A thing that has physical existence. noun
- The goal, end or purpose of something. noun
- The noun phrase which is an internal complement of a verb phrase or a prepositional phrase. In a verb phrase with a transitive action verb, it is typically the receiver of the action. noun
- A person or thing toward which an emotion is directed. noun
- In object-oriented programming, an instantiation of a class or structure. noun
- To disagree with something or someone; especially in a Court of Law, to raise an objection. verb
- Opposed; presented in opposition; also, exposed. adjective
- That which is put, or which may be regarded as put, in the way of some of the senses; something visible or tangible and persists for an appreciable time noun
- Anything which is set, or which may be regarded as set, before the mind so as to be apprehended or known; that of which the mind by any of its activities takes cognizance, whether a thing external in space or a conception formed by the mind itself noun