Olive Wiki - What is the olive?
The olive, known by the botanical name Olea europaea, meaning "European olive", is a species of small tree in the family Oleaceae, found in the Mediterranean Basin from Portugal to the Levant, the Arabian Peninsula, and southern Asia as far east as China, as well as the Canary Islands and Réunion. The species is cultivated in many places and considered naturalized in all the countries of the Mediterranean coast, as well as in Argentina, Saudi Arabia, Java, Norfolk Island, California, and Bermuda. Olea europaea is the type species for the genus Olea. The olive's fruit, also called the olive, is of major agricultural importance in the Mediterranean region as the source of olive oil; it is one of the core ingredients in Mediterranean cuisine. The tree and its fruit give their name to the plant family, which also includes species such as lilacs, jasmine, Forsythia, and the true ash trees (Fraxinus)..
What does the word olive mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word olive in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with olive and anagrams of olive.
Definitions of "olive"
- A Mediterranean evergreen tree (Olea europaea) having fragrant white flowers, usually lance-shaped leathery leaves, and edible drupes. noun
- The small ovoid fruit of this tree, an important food and source of oil. noun
- A yellow green of low to medium lightness and low to moderate saturation. noun
- An evergreen tree, Olea europaea, cultivated since ancient times in the Mediterranean for its fruit and the oil obtained from it. noun
- The small oval fruit of this tree, eaten ripe (usually black) or unripe (usually green). noun
- The wood of the olive tree. noun
- A dark yellowish-green color, that of an unripe olive. noun
- An olivary body, part of the medulla oblongata. noun
- A component of a plumbing compression joint; a ring which is placed between the nut and the pipe and compressed during fastening to provide a seal. noun
- Of a grayish green color, that of an unripe olive. adjective
- Approaching the color of the olive; of a peculiar dark brownish, yellowish, or tawny green. adjective
- A tree (Olea Europæa) with small oblong or elliptical leaves, axillary clusters of flowers, and oval, one-seeded drupes. The tree has been cultivated for its fruit for thousands of years, and its branches are the emblems of peace. The wood is yellowish brown and beautifully variegated. noun
- The fruit of the olive. It has been much improved by cultivation, and is used for making pickles. Olive oil is pressed from its flesh. noun
- Any shell of the genus Oliva and allied genera; -- so called from the form. See Oliva. noun
- The oyster catcher. noun
- The color of the olive, a peculiar dark brownish, yellowish, or tawny green. noun
The word "olive" in example sentences
um..yeah. olive garden is not expensive it all..it's quite cheep acutally. & olive garden is the best italian place in this world. so whatever you say about it..olive garden is fine!. [Olive Garden vs. C&O Trattoria, Marina Del Rey - Who's more Italian?]
A way around this would be to purchase 100\% extra virgin olive oil, but be sure to avoid the term olive oil as most of it is blended with some GMO cottonseed or canola.. [Mathaba Highlights Briefing]
American girls ', but is what they call olive complexion, like stuffed olives you buy in bottles, stuffed with cayenne pepper, but the girls are just like the cayenne pepper, so warm that you want to throw water on yourself after they have touched you.. [Peck's Bad Boy Abroad Being a Humorous Description of the Bad Boy and His Dad in Their Journeys Through Foreign Lands - 1904]
The men are despicable looking people, of small stature, of a colour between black and yellow, which we call olive, having voices like women, and long black hair flowing on their shoulders.. [A General History and Collection of Voyages and Travels — Volume 07]
The "olive" is made with a technique that Mr. Adri à calls "spherification," in which a flavored liquid is enclosed in a skin made of the same substance.. [Putting on Airs]
The "olive" is chosen to represent the adoption of Judah by the free grace of God, as its oil is the image of richness (compare Ps 23: 5; 104: 15). with ... noise of ... tumult -- or, "at the noise," &c., namely, at the tumult of the invading army (Isa 13: 4) [Maurer].. [Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible]
Here were old friends aboard, who fried my black bass in olive oil.. [Chapter 22]
There are always interesting foods to sample at Felidia, including a changing menu that highlights a particular Italian region and dishes selected to complement specific extra-virgin olive oils.. [Five Best Italian Restaurants in NYC | myFiveBest]
Vanilla soy milk is a fantastic substitute, and stir frying things in olive oil tastes just as good.. [Allergy. «]
We took your advice and went out to Downtown Puteax, a part of te Paris conurbation at La Defense and bought some artisanally cured ham, a bagette of extraordinary quality, some fresh and sweet cherry tomatoes, some incredible cheese, mayonaisse made with extra virgin olive oil and that will see us through the day with a bit of red wine and an eclair.. [I Love Paris in the Summer When it Drizzles]
And cook your tomatoes with extra virgin olive oil to boost your assimilation of cancer-fighting, lycopene.. [Christina Pirello: Real Things You Can Do to Prevent Breast Cancer]
The margherita pizza made with tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, basil and extra virgin olive oil.. [Neapolitan on the Rise]
At left, the margherita pizza made with tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, basil and extra virgin olive oil.. [Neapolitan Pies]
Saute garlic, tomatoes and chicken in olive oil for 3-5 minutes until warm.. [Weight-Loss Challenge dinner: Pesto chicken pasta]
Were you to do so, a million ghosts in olive drab, in brown khaki, in blue and gray, would rise from their white crosses, thundering those magic words: Duty, Honor, Country.. [No need for ‘victory?’ - Moe_Lane’s blog - RedState]
Saute some chopped onions and garlic in olive oil, then add washed and chopped greens (a mixture of spinach and some bitter green, like dandelion or kale, is great; just spinach is fine too).. [kateelliott: Query: Casseroles and Main Dishes that freeze well]
Olive TranslatesOlive English to Turkish Translate
i., s. zeytin; zeytin ağacı, bot. Olea europaea; zeytin dalı veya çelengi; yeşil zeytin rengi; s. zeytine ait; zeytuni. olive branch barış sembolü olan zeytin dalı;barış sembolü olarak kullanılan herhangi bir şey.olive brown yeşilimsi kahverengi.olive drabzeytuni;gen. çoğ. zeytuni üniforma. olive green zeytuni yeşil. olive oil zeytinyağı. olive tree zeytin ağacı.i., s. zeytin; zeytin ağacı, bot. Olea europaea; zeytin dalı veya çelengi; yeşil zeytin rengi; s. zeytine ait; zeytuni. olive branch barış sembolü olan zeytin dalı;barış sembolü olarak kullanılan herhangi bir şey.olive brown yeşilimsi kahverengi.olive drabzeytuni;gen. çoğ. zeytuni üniforma. olive green zeytuni yeşil. olive oil zeytinyağı. olive tree zeytin ağacı.