Oriental Wiki - What is the oriental?
The Orient is a historical term for the East, traditionally comprising anything that belongs to the Eastern world, in relation to Europe. In English, it is largely a metonym for, and coterminous with, the continent of Asia, loosely classified into the Near East, Middle East and Far East: the directional regions now known today as western Asia, southern Asia, eastern Asia, and southeast Asia (Note that traditionally directional regions of a continent do not use an upper-case letter). Originally, the term Orient was used to designate the Near East, and later its meaning evolved and expanded, designating also the Middle East or the Far East. The term Oriental is often used to describe objects from the Orient. However, given its Eurocentric connotations and shifting, inaccurate definition through the ages, it may be considered offensive as a label for people from Asia. .
What does the word oriental mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word oriental in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with oriental and anagrams of oriental.
Definitions of "oriental"
- Of or relating to the countries of the Orient or their peoples or cultures; eastern. adjective
- Of or designating the biogeographic region that includes Asia south of the Himalaya Mountains and the islands of the Malay Archipelago. adjective
- Lustrous and valuable: oriental pearls. adjective
- Of or relating to a genuine or superior gem: an oriental ruby. adjective
- Relating to or designating corundum that resembles another stone in color. adjective
- Often Offensive An Asian. noun
- eastern, of the east, of or relating to the Orient especially Asiatic, but most commonly to the Far East. adjective
- , capitalized: a zoögeographical region of southeast Asia. adjective
- of orient pearls, relating to orient lustre in a pearl adjective
- Oriental (capitalized) native of the East, or Asiatic, native, resident of the Orient noun
- A person from the Orient, or with ancestry from the Orient. noun
- Of or pertaining to the orient or east; eastern; concerned with the East or Orientalism; -- opposed to
- A native or inhabitant of the Orient or some Eastern part of the world; an Asiatic. noun
- Eastern Christians of the Greek rite. noun
- Of the orient or east; situated in or proceeding from the east; eastern: as, oriental seas or countries. Also orient.
- Of superior quality; precious; valuable; possessing orient qualities: applied to gems as a mark of excellence: opposed to occidental, which applies to the less valuable kinds.
- [cap. or lowercase] Of, pertaining to, or characteristic of the East, or Eastern, especially Asiatic, countries; hence, exuberant; profuse; sumptuous; gorgeous; magnificent.
- In astrology, rising between the fourth house and the mid-heaven: applied to the planets.
- A native or an inhabitant of some eastern part of the world; an Asiatic. noun
The word "oriental" in example sentences
I get the filete part and oriental is obvious ... but what does basa mean? tashby. [Filete de Basa Oriental]
I haven't read the book, but Orchidus posted a great review of it recently ... and I know that like me you are interested in oriental writers, so it might be a good choice!. [A to Z Meme]
The one on the left is for Patty, who wanted a 12 block (any style) in oriental fabrics, so I made this log cabin/courthouse steps variation for her.. ["Spare" quilts]
Despite these European migrations, the pejorative of "Semite" and the code word "oriental" were applied to Jews well into the 20th century.. [Banning some words HERE on This Website]
If he is interested in oriental languages, the new Institute of Languages will enable him to acquire a knowledge of Singhalese or Bantu or any of the other languages.. [An Address By The Right Honourable Lord MacMillan]
They represent what we usually call the oriental churches, and are divided as follows: (1) The Nestorian church, extended over Babylonia and Chaldea, Mesopotamia and Assyria,. [The Catholic Encyclopedia, Volume 1: Aachen-Assize]
Mme. Grassini, two of them in oriental costume, the other half-length.. [Memoirs of Madame Vigée Lebrun]
This is sometimes known as oriental flushing symptoms.. [Yahoo! Answers: Latest Questions]
Considering the 500 year Turkish occupation, she thinks it's a disgrace to label oriental sounding music as a national product.. [SofiaEcho RSS feed]
'Oriental yeti' discovered in China - Telegraph: This bizarre creature dubbed the oriental yeti has baffled scientists after emerging from ancient woodlands in remote central China.. [Archive 2010-04-04]
There's a poem called oriental girl dances, published in a speculative poetry magazine.. [So friends list, do you find this appropriate?]
A group of what are called oriental small-clawed otters line up on a rock at the London Zoo during the annual winter census.. [CNN Transcript Jan 8, 2009]
A group of what are called oriental small-clawed otters line up on a rock at the London Zoo during its annual winter census.. [CNN Transcript Jan 8, 2009]
You said: If people don't want to be called oriental which just means eastern, I think, I can't imagine why you wouldn't just accept that.. [Would you trust a law professor to be President?]
I then wrote: If people don't want to be called oriental which just means eastern, I think, I can't imagine why you wouldn't just accept that.. [Would you trust a law professor to be President?]
And why would we do so when there are so many fragrances out there who has been using patchouli and vetiver for decades if not centuries, but were classified as oriental, woody or florals?. [The Dawn of Pink Chypres]
Oriental TranslatesOriental English to Turkish Translate
s., i. Doğulu; Doğu'ya özgü, doğusal; çok parlak ve seffaf; b.h. Dogulu kimse; Asyalı. Orientalism i. Doğu'ya özgu töre veya usul; Doğu dilleri veya tarihi bilgisi. Orientalist i. Doğu dilleri, edebiyatı ve tarihi uzmanı, müsteşrik. Orientalize f. Doğululaştırmak. Oriental rug el ile dokunmuş şark halısı. orientally z. Doğu üslubuna göre.s., i. Doğulu; Doğu'ya özgü, doğusal; çok parlak ve seffaf; b.h. Dogulu kimse; Asyalı. Orientalism i. Doğu'ya özgu töre veya usul; Doğu dilleri veya tarihi bilgisi. Orientalist i. Doğu dilleri, edebiyatı ve tarihi uzmanı, müsteşrik. Orientalize f. Doğululaştırmak. Oriental rug el ile dokunmuş şark halısı. orientally z. Doğu üslubuna göre.