Origin Wiki - What is the origin?
Origin, origins, or original .
What does the word origin mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word origin in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with origin and anagrams of origin.
Definitions of "origin"
- The point at which something comes into existence or from which it derives or is derived. noun
- Ancestry: "We cannot escape our origins, however hard we try” ( James Baldwin). noun
- The fact of originating; rise or derivation: The rumor had its origin in an impulsive remark. noun
- Anatomy The point of attachment of a muscle that remains relatively fixed during contraction. noun
- Mathematics The point of intersection of coordinate axes, as in the Cartesian coordinate system. noun
- The beginning of something. noun
- The source of a river, information, goods, etc. noun
- The point at which the axes of a coordinate system intersect noun
- The proximal end of attachment of a muscle to a bone that will not be moved by the action of that muscle. noun
- an arbitrary point on the earth's surface, chosen as the zero for a system of coordinates. noun
- ancestry noun
- The first existence or beginning of anything; the birth. noun
- That from which anything primarily proceeds; the fountain; the spring; the cause; the occasion. noun
- The point of attachment or end of a muscle which is fixed during contraction; -- in contradistinction to
- To give rise to; originate; initiate.
- To arise; originate.
- Beginning of existence; rise or first manifestation; first stage or indication of being or existence. noun
- That from which anything derives its being or nature; source of being or existence; cause or occasion; fountain; source: as, the origins of a nation. noun
- Hence, parentage; ancestry; pedigree; extraction; birth. noun
The word "origin" in example sentences
Sante Maure, also French in origin, is an aged goat's milk cheese, or chevre, with a nutty flavor and aroma and a thin, smooth, blue-gray molding.. [Making merry in May: Mexico's National Cheese and Wine Festival]
Also Middle Eastern in origin is shanklish (sometimes spelled shanclish) made with either cow's or sheep's milk, formed into balls about 2 ½ inches in diameter and covered with zatar seasoning made with crushed sesame seeds, thyme and sumac berries.. [Making merry in May: Mexico's National Cheese and Wine Festival]
Misusing words of Latin origin is a common phenomenon.. [Strunk and Light VI: Incorrect (biatch)!]
Whether these skirts were Nguni rather than indigenous in origin is difficult to establish.. [Where Women Make History: Gendered Tellings of Community and Change in Magude, Mozambique]
I found that the origin comes from a Greek word, 'Imperium'.. [India In The Commonwealth]
HAD TWO YEARS AGO is that George Will knows that George Will looks better in a Word origin janek51 - 4/11/11 7:22am. [Crooks and Liars]
Covering his origin is all well and good, but there is much more to the hero than just a silver cloaked costume.. [Hero/Villain of the week! « Giant Killer Squid - Film, Comics, News, Reviews and more]
It sounds like the hold-up on more help is financial in origin, which is in equal measures understandable and completely frustrating.. [The Amazing Survivor Race Challenge: Parenting Edition | Her Bad Mother]
"In this decision, the origin is approached by the force of the gaze, which sets free the essence of the night, removes concern, interrupts the incessant by revealing it: a moment of desire, unconcern, and authority". [Darkness Audible: Negative Capability and Mark Dotys 'Nocturne in Black and Gold']
Often, she will play with an online dictionary on her laptop to quickly find a word origin.. [USATODAY.com News]
By being racially exclusive at least pertaining to the word 'origin', if not some of the winners isn't the MOBOs overtly racict?. [Evening Standard - Home]
But their origin is almost as obscure as ever: if ancient, their creed has been so corrupted with mysticism and Mahometanism, that its native lineaments are very indistinct. —. [The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire]
In the description of a muscle, the term origin is meant to imply its more fixed or central attachment; and the term insertion the movable point on which the force of the muscle is applied; but the origin is absolutely fixed in only a small number of muscles, such as those of the face which are attached by one extremity to immovable bones, and by the other to the movable integument; in the greater number, the muscle can be made to act from either extremity.. [IV. Myology. 1. Mechanics of Muscle]
It's a kind of origin tale, but considering the mystique surrounding the Joker's history -- I really only know of the origin from the Tim Burton film -- the idea that the preeminent villain of the Batman pantheon rose from such a hapless loser is surprising and a bit disappointing.. [Getting Graphic: "Batman: The Killing Joke" by Alan Moore]
However, it's not explicit that the purple people eater is extra-terrestrial in origin, based on the lyrical evidence, only that it can fly .... [Boing Boing]
But the greatest game of all was Australian in origin no, not cricket or rugby.. [Stalag 18A]
Origin TranslatesOrigin English to Turkish Translate
i. asıl, köken, kaynak, başlangıç; nesil, doğuş, soy.i. asıl, köken, kaynak, başlangıç; nesil, doğuş, soy.