Palace Wiki - What is the palace?
A palace is a grand residence, especially a royal residence, or the home of a head of state or some other high-ranking dignitary, such as a bishop or archbishop.The word is derived from the Latin name Palātium, for Palatine Hill in Rome which housed the Imperial residences. In many parts of Europe, the term is also applied to ambitious private mansions of the aristocracy. Many historic palaces are now put to other uses such as parliaments, museums, hotels, or office buildings. The word is also sometimes used to describe a lavishly ornate building used for public entertainment or exhibitions, such as a movie palace.
What does the word palace mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word palace in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with palace and anagrams of palace.
Definitions of "palace"
- The official residence of a royal personage. noun
- Chiefly British The official residence of a high dignitary, such as a bishop or archbishop. noun
- A large or splendid residence. noun
- A large, often gaudily ornate building used for entertainment or exhibitions. noun
- Official residence of a head of state or other dignitary, especially in a monarchical or imperial governmental system. noun
- A large and lavishly ornate residence. noun
- A large, ornate public building used for entertainment or exhibitions. noun
- To decorate or ornate. verb
- The residence of a sovereign, including the lodgings of high officers of state, and rooms for business, as well as halls for ceremony and reception. noun
- The official residence of a bishop or other distinguished personage. noun
- Loosely, any unusually magnificent or stately house. noun
- The house in which an emperor, a king or queen, a bishop, or other exalted personage lives: as, an imperial palace; a royal palace; a pontifical palace; a ducal palace. noun
- A magnificent, grand, or stately dwelling-place; a magnificent mansion or building. noun
- An inclosed place: a yard; a landing-place inclosed by pales (see palise) or walls. noun
- A cellar for the storing of fish. noun
- a large ornate exhibition hall noun
- official residence of an exalted person (as a sovereign) noun
- the governing group of a kingdom noun
The word "palace" in example sentences
Oswald and Corinne, having seen the Capitoline Hill the day before, began their walks by Mount Palatine; it was entirely occupied by the palace of the Cæsars, called _the golden palace_.. [Corinne, Volume 1 (of 2) Or Italy]
A modern tourist, in "A Morning's Walk from London to Kew," characterizes the new palace as "the _Bastile palace_, from its resemblance to that building, so obnoxious to freedom and freemen.. [The Mirror of Literature, Amusement, and Instruction Volume 10, No. 275, September 29, 1827]
The term palace is not altogether inappropriate, for apparently the fort was occasionally used as a royal residence.. [The Makers and Teachers of Judaism]
Such a palace is always a U-shaped, lavish, monumental building, also known as a tecpan.. [The Tecpan of Ocomo: largest indigenous palace in Mesoamerica]
Both still exist, the palace is a museum, and Cortes 'home is now a fine restaurant, It is expensive, and definitely a splurge experience to eat there.. [Spanish toponyms (place names)]
Caliph replied, “O Masrur, the palace is my palace and the girls are my property: furthermore my soul inclineth not to aught of this.”. [The Book of The Thousand Nights And A Night]
HUNTER-GAULT: Critics have vowed to challenge what they call the palace constitution, if there is a court to hear it.. [CNN Transcript Jan 18, 2003]
The entrance to the palace is at the end of an arched recess, and it is guarded night and day by twelve soldierly-looking white Bears.. [The Story of My Life]
Now, before you return to what you call the palace, and which looks to me like the main building of the Allegheny Brick. [The Slim Princess]
The long low-roofed building at the east side of the palace is the "Bungalow" to which frequent reference has been made. page 102. [Hawaii's Story, by Hawaii's Queen]
All the prejudices with which he hardens men's hearts against truth and holiness are the strong-holds which he erects for the keeping of his palace; this palace is his garrison.. [Commentary on the Whole Bible Volume V (Matthew to John)]
Elite Soviet troops stormed the main palace in Kabul – and quickly killed its president Hafizullah Amin, whom the KGB regarded as a US agent.. [Russian military could be drawn back into Afghanistan]
There was so much gold leaf in the place when it was completed it was called a palace of glittering gold.. [Fox dynasty hails the ancestor who shaped a town]
The mainstream media say Edwards 'palace is actually only 28000 square feet.. [WITBD? Edwards or Spitzer?]
Zachriel: A king collecting taxes from peasants to buy a new palace is not socialism.. [A question of faith]
A king collecting taxes from peasants to buy a new palace is not socialism.. [A question of faith]
Palace TranslatesPalace English to Turkish Translate
i. saray; saray gibi bina; muhteşem ev; k.dili lüks eğlence yeri veya galeri.i. saray; saray gibi bina; muhteşem ev; k.dili lüks eğlence yeri veya galeri.