Paternal Wiki - What is the paternal?
What does the word paternal mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word paternal in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with paternal and anagrams of paternal.
Definitions of "paternal"
- Relating to or characteristic of a father or fatherhood; fatherly. adjective
- Received or inherited from a father: a paternal trait. adjective
- Related through one's father: my paternal aunt. adjective
- Of or pertaining to one's father, his genes, his relatives, or his side of a family; as, "paternal grandfather" (one's father's father). adjective
- Fatherly; behaving as or characteristic of a father. adjective
- Received or inherited from one's father. adjective
- Acting as a father; as in "paternal filicide" (murder of a son committed by his father). adjective
- Of or pertaining to a father; fatherly; showing the disposition of a father; guiding or instructing as a father. adjective
- Received or derived from a father; hereditary. adjective
- Of or pertaining to a father; proper to or characteristic of a father; fatherly: as, paternal care or affection; paternal favor or admonition.
- Derived from the father; hereditary; as, a paternal estate.
- belonging to or inherited from one's father adjective
- relating to or characteristic of or befitting a parent adjective
- characteristic of a father adjective
- related on the father's side adjective
The word "paternal" in example sentences
The term paternal correction is also applied to it.. [The Catholic Encyclopedia, Volume 4: Clandestinity-Diocesan Chancery]
The word paternal is gender neutral, or may be used for the male guardian, but it primarily relates to or is characteristic of befitting a parent.. [France Lets In Gay Adoption Under Sarkozy « Unambiguously Ambidextrous]
“Just so,” said Mr Low — only that what you call a paternal government is not always quiet and orderly.. [Phineas Finn]
"Just so," said Mr Low -- only that what you call a paternal government is not always quiet and orderly.. [Phineas Finn]
The novel's representation of the paternal is of course implicated in this drawing and redrawing of the boundaries of nature.. [Patriarchal Fantasy and the Fecal Child in Mary Shelley's _Frankenstein_ and its Adaptations]
The use of the word paternal calls to mind the way they threw a cordon around the country to prevent at the threshold the entrance of men who were unprepared for the hardships with either clothing or supplies or physique.. [Policing the Plains Being the Real-Life Record of the Famous North-West Mounted Police]
He strove hard to reconcile the memories of the night with the feelings of the morning -- strove to realize a state of mind in which a measure of forgiveness to his son blended with a measure of satisfaction to the wounded pride he called paternal dignity.. [Weighed and Wanting]
Imposition of hands was a ceremony used especially in paternal blessings; Jacob used it when he blessed and adopted the sons of Joseph, Gen. xlviii.. [Commentary on the Whole Bible Volume V (Matthew to John)]
"Just so," said Mr. Low, — "only that what you call a paternal government is not always quiet and orderly.. [Phineas Finn]
"Just so," said Mr. Low, -- "only that what you call a paternal government is not always quiet and orderly.. [Phineas Finn The Irish Member]
I recall my paternal grandfather, who came here from Armenia as a refugee from the Turkish genocide, saying “Thank God for Ford Motor Company.”. [The End of an Era]
Eyre recalls his paternal grandfather, a retired soldier who lived in a north Devon house "that seemed", according to the memoir, "a continent of fearful possibilities: dark, labyrinthine panelled corridors, cellars, creaking floorboards, rooms that were never entered".. [A life in theatre: Richard Eyre]
In Zulu culture, children call their paternal uncles “father” and their cousins on their paternal side “brother” and “sister.”. [No Place Left to Bury the Dead]
You have to make sure that the maternal and the paternal are the same.. [CNN Transcript Apr 22, 2005]
It is only because the institutions of this country are a mass of inconsistencies, that things find admittance into our practice which belong to the system of despotic, or what is called paternal, government, while the general freedom of our institutions precludes the exercise of the amount of control necessary to render the restraint of any real efficacy as a moral education.. [On Liberty]
A smile of what could only be called paternal pride played on his mouth.. [Mosaic]