Pearl Wiki - What is the pearl?
What does the word pearl mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word pearl in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with pearl and anagrams of pearl.
Definitions of "pearl"
- verb & noun
- A smooth, lustrous, variously colored mass, chiefly of calcium carbonate, formed around a grain of sand or other foreign matter inside the shell of certain bivalve mollusks and valued as a gem. noun
- A bead resembling one of these masses. noun
- Mother-of-pearl; nacre. noun
- One that is highly regarded for its beauty or value. noun
- A type size measuring approximately five points. noun
- A yellowish white. noun
- To decorate or cover with pearls or beads resembling pearls. intransitive verb
- To make into the shape or color of pearls. intransitive verb
- To dive or fish for pearls or pearl-bearing mollusks. intransitive verb
- To form beads resembling pearls. intransitive verb
- In ship-rigging, one of the bull's-eye rollers strung on the round iron band which spans the forward part of the gaff on fore-and-aft vessels, and which assist in the smooth hoisting of the spar, as well as confining it to the mast. noun
- A nacreous concretion, or separate mass of nacre, of hard, smooth, lustrous texture, and a rounded, oval, pear-shaped, or irregular figure, secreted within the shells of various bivalve mollusks as a result of the irritation caused by the presence of some foreign body, as a grain of sand, within the mantle-lobes. noun
- Anything very valuable; the choicest or best part; a jewel; the finest of its kind. noun
- Something round and clear, as a drop of water or dew; any small granule or globule resembling a pearl; specifically, in pharmacy, a small pill or pellet containing or consisting of some medicinal substance. noun
- A white speck or film growing on the eye; cataract. noun
- Mother-of-pearl; nacre: as, a pearl button. noun
- A size of printing-type, about 15 lines to the inch, intermediate between the larger size agate and the smaller size diamond: it is equal to 5 points, and is so distinguished in the new system of sizes. noun