Possess Wiki - What is the possess?
What does the word possess mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word possess in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with possess and anagrams of possess.
Definitions of "possess"
- To have as property; own. verb-transitive
- To have as a quality, characteristic, or other attribute: possessed great tact. verb-transitive
- To acquire mastery of or have knowledge of: possess valuable data. verb-transitive
- To gain or exert influence or control over; dominate: Fury possessed me. verb-transitive
- To control or maintain (one's nature) in a particular condition: I possessed my temper despite the insult. verb-transitive
- To cause to own, hold, or master something, such as property or knowledge: She possessed herself of the unclaimed goods. verb-transitive
- To cause to be influenced or controlled, as by an idea or emotion: The thought of getting rich possessed him. verb-transitive
- Obsolete To gain or seize. verb-transitive
- To have; to have ownership of. verb
- To take control of someone's body or mind, especially in a supernatural manner. verb
- To vest ownership in (someone); to give someone power or knowledge; to acquaint; to inform. verb
- To occupy in person; to hold or actually have in one's own keeping; to have and to hold. verb-transitive
- To have the legal title to; to have a just right to; to be master of; to own; to have. verb-transitive
- To obtain occupation or possession of; to accomplish; to gain; to seize. verb-transitive
- To enter into and influence; to control the will of; to fill; to affect; -- said especially of evil spirits, passions, etc. verb-transitive
- To put in possession; to make the owner or holder of property, power, knowledge, etc.; to acquaint; to inform; -- followed by of or with before the thing possessed, and now commonly used reflexively. verb-transitive
- To own; have as a belonging, property, characteristic, or attribute.
- To seize; take possession of; make one's self master of.
- To put in possession; make master or owner, whether by force or legally: with of before the thing, and now generally used in the passive or reflexively: as, to possess one's self of another's secret; to be or stand possessed of a certain manor.
The word "possess" in example sentences
My abode is humble: in the midst of an orchard, which my father planted: but I possess a few books, some of them curious, and should like to _read_ double the number I _possess_. ". [A Bibliographical, Antiquarian and Picturesque Tour in France and Germany, Volume One]
The history of Tamil invasions against the only homeland that the Buddhist Sinhalese possess is not just the stuff of ancient history, but a living reality underpinned by latter-day Tamil terrorism.. [Buddha’s Savage Peace]
The expertise they possess is a matter of knowledge, which is distinct from rationality.. [The Volokh Conspiracy » Richard Thaler Responds to Critics of Libertarian Paternalism]
Such identity as they do possess is invariably generated by the role they play in cloaking abstractions; and these, which tend to vary according to whichever fragment of papyrus or pyramid text is being quoted, rarely make for gripping narrative.. [The Rise and Fall of Ancient Egypt by Toby Wilkinson; Myths and Legends of Ancient Egypt by Joyce Tyldesley; and Egyptian Dawn by Robert Temple]
The most important thing which an enterprise should possess is the ability to believe in oneself and should go after that religiously.. [6 Tips for Taking an Enterprise Company to the Masses]
The fifth and last quality one must possess is optimism.. [Id Serenity | SciFi, Fantasy & Horror Collectibles]
The third quality one must possess is self-determination.. [Id Serenity | SciFi, Fantasy & Horror Collectibles]
The second quality one must possess is the willingness to invest time and effort even if direct results do not seem at all apparent.. [Id Serenity | SciFi, Fantasy & Horror Collectibles]
The fourth quality one must possess is discipline.. [Id Serenity | SciFi, Fantasy & Horror Collectibles]
What measure of civilization they do possess is exotic.. [Mexico's Army and Ours]
The unusual quality they possess is that they are fluoresce in UV light or a common black light and will literally glow in the black light.. [Dealing with insects in your Mexico house and garden]
I was looking for pictures to upload of our powder-y dumps, but all I possess is a cell phone camera.. [First Snow | My[confined]Space]
The only thing I really want to possess is books: try not to think too badly of me.. [Blockbusters and the Tao Te Ching « Tales from the Reading Room]
I just read an essay by Montaigne where he makes the same point you did, that the only thing you truly possess is yourself.. [Life Begins At 40 « Tales from the Reading Room]
But with defensive end Pernell McPhee returning, State should again possess a dangerous pass rush.. [Around the Southeastern Conference]
But I've got a bad news ... on your homepage you say that "Mine to possess" is already out.. [Release! Mine to Possess]
Possess TranslatesPossess English to Turkish Translate
f. sahip olmak, malik olmak, mutasarrıfı olmak; hükmetmek. possessed s. sahipli; soğukkanlı; mecnun; çılgın; azimkâr. possessed with niyetli, azimkâr; mecnun.f. sahip olmak, malik olmak, mutasarrıfı olmak; hükmetmek. possessed s. sahipli; soğukkanlı; mecnun; çılgın; azimkâr. possessed with niyetli, azimkâr; mecnun.
News about possess
Nyca Partners’ Hans Morris hunts for great fintech investments amid volatility
Hans Morris is a name to know in fintech, and as finance and tech sectors prepare for tougher time next year, he has some incisive thoughts to share about the kinds of companies that will succeed (or not) in a financial downturn. The managing partner of inves…
Mirror's On-Demand Home Workouts Are Fun, But I'm Sweating the Small Stuff
Working out at home is part of my routine. My roommate and I set up her old ass Windows laptop on a living room chair and play legendary fitness DVD Insanity once a week when we’re not too lazy. Intense fitness guru Shaun Thompson guides us through the brutal…
Monday's Best Deals: Anker Lightning Cables, Smart Oven, Insulated Backpacks, and More
An Anker battery pack, Breville smart oven, and a 20-pound board game lead off Monday’s best deals. Read more...