Powerful Wiki - What is the powerful?
What does the word powerful mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word powerful in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with powerful and anagrams of powerful.
Definitions of "powerful"
- Having or capable of exerting power. adjective
- Effective or potent: a powerful drug. adjective
- Chiefly Upper Southern U.S. Great: "[Everybody had] a powerful lot to say about faith and good works and free grace and preforeordestination, and I don't know what all” ( Mark Twain). adjective
- Chiefly Upper Southern U.S. Very: It was powerful humid. adverb
- Having, or capable of exerting power, potency or influence. adjective
- Large; capacious; said of veins of ore. adjective
- Full of power; capable of producing great effects of any kind; potent; mighty; efficacious; intense adjective
- Large; capacious; -- said of veins of ore. adjective
- Exerting great force or power; able to produce great physical effects; strong; efficient: as, a powerful engine; a powerful blow; a powerful medicine.
- Having great authority; puissant; potent; mighty: as, a powerful nation.
- Characterized by great intellectual power.
- Having great influence or moral power; cogent; efficacious.
- Great; numerous; numerically large. Compare power, 10.
- Synonyms Puissant, forcible, cogent, influential; vigorous, robust, sturdy.
- Very: as, powerful good; powerful weak.
- having great power or force or potency or effect adjective
- strong enough to knock down or overwhelm adjective
- having great influence adjective
- (of a person) possessing physical strength and weight; rugged and powerful adjective
The word "powerful" in example sentences
Tyler Sudley would break out, addressing the teacher, all unmindful of scholastic etiquette, a flush of pleasure rising to his swarthy cheek as he thrust back his wide black hat on his long dark hair and turned his candid gray eyes, all aglow, upon the cadaverous, ascetic preceptor, "ain't Lee-yander a-gittin 'on powerful, _powerful_ fas' with his book?". [The Moonshiners At Hoho-Hebee Falls 1895]
In reality, my word "powerful" does not do justice to the influence of Scots-Irish culture at the ballot box.. [Dave "Mudcat" Saunders: Born Fighting Reveals the Invisible Ink on the Pages of American History]
Rape by the powerful is an everyday hazard in Uzbekistan, again as outlined in Murder in Samarkand page 120.. [Archive 2007-09-23]
Now that's what I call a powerful Christian sermon.. [Archive 2009-01-04]
If you read enough Ayn Rand, your frontal lobes decay to the point where you confuse pleasing rationalizations for fact, and come to believe that grovelling worship of the powerful is the same as defending liberty.. [Think Progress » Exxon-Backed Pundit Compares Gore To Nazi Propagandist]
Squashing the powerful is an essential media skill, a leveling device that helps keep democracy democratic.. [Breaking Up With Google]
Mphahlwa also pointed a finger at what he described as powerful. [ANC Daily News Briefing]
MANN: Let me ask you about something else that we just heard from the secretary of defense who described the U.S. facing what he called a powerful and terrible enemy.. [CNN Transcript Sep 13, 2001]
JUDY WOODRUFF, CNN ANCHOR: Gore will declare America's whole future is at stake in this election and will pledge to fight against what he calls powerful forces, powerful interests, and a culture of too much meanness and not enough meaning.. [CNN Transcript - Special Event: Democratic National Convention: Al Gore Prepares to Accept His Party's Presidential Nomination - August 17, 2000]
Campaigners hailed what they described as a powerful new weapon in the three-decade war against AIDS.. [Yahoo! News: Business - Opinion]
North Korea has threatened to use what it describes as a powerful nuclear deterrence in response to a US-South Korea joint naval maneuver.. [WN.com - Photown News]
Immelt also defended what he described as a powerful "trilogy" of rising dividends, stock buybacks and acquisitions as investors pushed the CEO to return more of GE's spare capital to shareholders.. [GE to buy back Buffett preferreds next year - MarketWatch]
He claims Lynn had threatened to put chloralhydrate, which he described as powerful narcotic sleep aid, in her wine if he left her in early August 1980.. [Local News]
Oz told 20/20 that products bearing his face and name started popping up online after he talked about the acai berry, what he described as a powerful anti-oxidant, on an episode of Winfrey's show.. [Ottawa Sun]
Now some Boston dermatologists are using what they call a powerful weapon to clear skin faster than previous treatments, and even prevent lifelong scarring.. [TheBostonChannel.com - News]
Compash Man became associated with the group when he met the Zing and received what he termed a powerful message of selfless service.. [Moberly Monitor-Index Homepage RSS]