Propitious Wiki - What is the propitious?
What does the word propitious mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word propitious in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with propitious and anagrams of propitious.
Definitions of "propitious"
- Presenting favorable circumstances; auspicious. See Synonyms at favorable. adjective
- Kindly; gracious. adjective
- Favorable; benevolent (e.g. propitious weather) adjective
- Favorably disposed towards someone. adjective
- Advantageous. adjective
- Characteristic of a good omen: auspicious. adjective
- Convenient; auspicious; favorable; kind adjective
- Hence, kind; gracious; merciful; helpful; -- said of a person or a divinity. adjective
- Favorably disposed; ready to grant a favor or indulgence; kind; disposed to be gracious or merciful; ready to forgive and bestow favors.
- Affording favorable conditions or circumstances; favorable: as, a propitious season.
- Synonyms Gracious, benign.
- Auspicious, Propitious, promising. Auspicious cannot be safely used in any meaning beyond that of giving omen or indication of success; an auspicious event is one that seems an omen of prosperity for that which follows. Auspicious could be applied to a person only by a highly figurative use of the word. The earlier tendency to use the word outside of the limits here indicated is not now sanctioned by good usage. Propitious applies primarily to persons, but may be freely extended by figure to things. Propitious goes beyond auspicious in representing a benign disposition and manner, leading one to expect a kind reception and help.
- presenting favorable circumstances; likely to result in or show signs of success adjective
The word "propitious" in example sentences
The fates were again propitious for a brief period; but again a trivial incident interfered.. [Archive 2008-12-01]
Pagondas refers to propitious victims of sacrifice before battle, 4.92.7. [THE LANDMARK THUCYDIDES]
Today, however, the outlook can hardly be called propitious for the formation of a national consensus anywhere in the industrial world, and the chances for an equitable international sharing of wealth seem hopeless.. [An Exchange on The Human Prospect]
Fabulous diction, excellent vocabulary, I'm inspired to add "propitious" and "persiflage" into my daily rhetoric.. [Easter Away!]
The cover or lid of the ark is termed in the LXX. hilasterion, that which covered or shut out the claims and demands of the law against the sins of God's people, whereby he became "propitious" to them.. [Easton's Bible Dictionary]
I will be merciful -- Greek, "propitious"; the Hebrew, "salach," is always used of God only in relation to men. and their iniquities -- not found in Vulgate, Syriac, Coptic, and one oldest Greek manuscript; but most oldest manuscripts have the words. [Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible]
But the talks underway now could also allow Washington to generate a climate "propitious" for help on other issues where it needs Moscow's support, such as Iran and North Korea's controversial nuclear programmes, said Goldblat who is based at the Geneva International Peace Research institute.. [Military Space News, Nuclear Weapons, Missile Defense]
Noting that it is primarily the responsibility of the Government and its national partners to create the "propitious" conditions for the elections, he commends political leaders for adopting an electoral code that enjoys wide consensus and is encouraged by President Pierre Nkurunziza's assurance that the polls will be free, fair and peaceful.. [Elections - fresh news by plazoo.com]
The virtue of Christ’s sacrifice is to pacify justice and make God propitious, that is, favourable and merciful to sinners.. [The Works of the Rev. Hugh Binning]
"propitious" because it could help governments and NGOs to identify hindrances to achieving the UN's Millennium Development goals.. [ANC Daily News Briefing]
But the signs are not propitious: Clarke was blathering on about the UK trying to get back powers over employment policy.. [Archive 2009-06-14]
They had just returned from their honeymoon, spent blissfully in Washington, D.C., planned to coincide with the silent, colorful explosion of the blossoming cherry trees, which my mother considered a propitious omen for the successful marriage of two deaf people.. [Excerpt: Hands of My Father by Myron Uhlberg]
To quote "The Waste Land" once more, "the time is now propitious.". [Notes From King Bolo]
New Year's Day creates this propitious atmosphere for self-renewal because we feel as though the entire world is starting over, just as we are.. [Dyane Jean FranÃ§ois: New Year, New You: How To Make Your Resolutions Work]
New Year s Day creates this propitious atmosphere for self-renewal because we feel as though the entire world is starting over, just as we are.. [Dyane Jean François: New Year, New You: How To Make Your Resolutions Work]
However should the Saudi's attempt to play this propitious turn of events in a way to spike prices, more in keeping with their standard cartel driven pricing policies, there is another solution available.. [Raymond J. Learsy: India Acts to Cut Off Iranian Oil Deliveries. The U.S. Needs to Act in Solidarity]