Pulse Wiki - What is the pulse?
What does the word pulse mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word pulse in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with pulse and anagrams of pulse.
Definitions of "pulse"
- The edible seeds of certain pod-bearing plants, such as lentils and chickpeas. noun
- A plant yielding these seeds. noun
- The rhythmical throbbing of arteries produced by the regular contractions of the heart, especially as palpated at the wrist or in the neck. noun
- A regular or rhythmical beating. noun
- A single beat or throb. noun
- A brief sudden change in a normally constant quantity. noun
- Any of a series of intermittent occurrences characterized by a brief sudden change in a quantity. noun
- The perceptible emotions or sentiments of a group of people. noun
- To pulsate; beat. intransitive verb
- To undergo a series of intermittent occurrences characterized by brief, sudden changes in a quantity. intransitive verb
- (take the pulse of) To judge the mood or views of (a political electorate, for example). idiom
- To drive.
- To drive by a pulsation of the heart.
- To beat, as the arteries or heart.
- In physical, a proposed unit for the measurement of the time-integral of forces. noun
- The esculent seeds of leguminous plants cultivated as field or garden crops, as peas, beans, lentils, etc. noun
- One of the plants producing pulse. noun
The word "pulse" in example sentences
And by that time efkn is got to n, EFKN is got to d and when it touches N, the pulse of the other Ray is got to o. and no farther, which is very short of the place it should have arriv'd to, to make the Ray np to cut the _orbicular pulse_ No at right Angles: therefore the Angle Nop is an acute Angle, but the quite contrary of this will happen, if 17. and 18. be calculated in stead of 16. and 17. both which does most exactly agree with the _Phænomena_: For if the Sun, or a Candle. [Micrographia Some Physiological Descriptions of Minute Bodies Made by Magnifying Glasses with Observations and Inquiries Thereupon]
-- The X on the lower border of the jaw indicates the place where the pulse is taken.] _The horse's pulse_ is taken from the submaxillary artery at a point anterior to, or below the angle of the jaw and along its inferior border. [Common Diseases of Farm Animals]
Actually any Democrat with a pulse is a good choice when compared to idiots like Romney.. [Massachusetts AG takes steps to run for Kennedy's seat]
What they are looking to do is see if they can somehow get their computer who will sort of what they call pulse this information on a more regular basis, will automatically do it, so you don't have to rely necessarily on human fallibility.. [CNN Transcript Jan 6, 2010]
Why it's taken them this long to find a running back with a pulse is anyone's guess.. [USATODAY.com - AFC fantasy notes]
As the blood is forced through the heart by forcible contractions of its muscular walls, it has the action of a force pump, and gives the impulse at each beat, which we call the pulse -- the dilatation of the arteries throughout the system.. [Special Report on Diseases of the Horse]
This morning, I did three miles on cruise control (around a fifteen-sixteen minute mile) without even pausing, and felt like I was good for another three (I walked in the door eight minutes ago and my pulse is already back under 90), but I decided to quit while I was ahead -- because three miles was my goal, and it seems like I should celebrate that with some sort of reward -- and because I am climbing tonight, and it seemed silly to kick my ass that totally beforehand.. [they keep building all these big buildings and they build them all in one-- --spot.]
It seems as if any defenseman with a pulse is getting $2.5 million.. [Do trade deadline deals work, plus 11 other key questions]
You don't know how to take a man's pulse from the neck.. [Chapter 11]
"When a man's pulse is that low it takes an expert to find it --". [Chapter 11]
Within a few seconds your pulse is shown on the screen.. [Daily Dispatch: Amazon introduces 'Kindle Singles' for short works; 'Scrapers' go after your personal data]
Fly's Eye has seen approximately 100 "events" to date, most of which were human-made signals, and at least one of which was a giant pulse from the Crab pulsar.. [URSI Update #3 - SETI]
Fly's Eye has seen approximately 100 "events" to date, most of which were human-made signals, and at least one of which was a giant pulse from the Crab pulsar.. [Archive 2009-02-05]
Just about every officer with arms, legs and a pulse is being deployed in uniform for a Special Event in Ruralshire, later in the Summer.. [Do sit down, there’s a good chap! « POLICE INSPECTOR BLOG]
Does it matter whether the decision of who to hire is made before or after the main pulse of registration?. [Teaching assignments of new hires]
Does it matter whether the decision of who to hire is made before or after the main pulse of registration?. [Archive 2007-06-01]