Pyrethrum Wiki - What is the pyrethrum?
What does the word pyrethrum mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word pyrethrum in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with pyrethrum and anagrams of pyrethrum.
Definitions of "pyrethrum"
- A Eurasian perennial plant (Tanacetum coccineum) in the composite family, cultivated for its colorful flower heads and formerly used as a source of an insecticide. noun
- A closely related perennial plant (Tanacetum cinerariifolium), commercially cultivated as the source of an insecticide. noun
- An insecticide made from the dried flower heads of any of these plants. noun
- A plant of the genus Pyrethrum; feverfew. noun
- [capitalized] A former genus of composite plants of the tribe Anthemideæ, now included as part of the section Pyrethra in the genus Chrysanthemum, from which it was distinguished by achenes nearly equally from five- to ten-ribbed and crowned with a pappus, characters now known to vary in the same species. noun
- A powdered preparation of pyrethrum, used as an insectifuge. Also called
pyrethrum-powder. See insect-powderand buhach. noun
- In pharmacy, the Anacyclus Pyrethrum, or pellitory-of-Spain. noun
- Any of several
perennial African plantsof the genus Chrysanthemum, especially Chrysanthemum cinerariaefolium noun
- Any of several
insecticidesobtained from these plants; pyrethrinnoun
- made of dried flower heads of pyrethrum plants noun
- white-flowered pyrethrum of Balkan area whose pinnate leaves are white and silky-hairy below; source of an insecticide; sometimes placed in genus Chrysanthemum noun
- used in former classifications for plants later placed in genus Chrysanthemum and now often included in genus Tanacetum noun
- spring-flowering garden perennial of Asiatic origin having finely divided aromatic leaves and white to pink-purple flowers; source of an insecticide; sometimes placed in genus Chrysanthemum noun