Ration Wiki - What is the ration?
Rationing is the controlled distribution of scarce resources, goods, or services, or an artificial restriction of demand. Rationing controls the size of the ration, which is one's allowed portion of the resources being distributed on a particular day or at a particular time. There are many forms of rationing, and in western civilization people experience some of them in daily life without realizing it.Rationing is often done to keep price below the equilibrium (market-clearing) price determined by the process of supply and demand in an unfettered market. Thus, rationing can be complementary to price controls. An example of rationing in the face of rising prices took place in the various countries where there was rationing of gasoline during the 1973 energy crisis. A reason for setting the price lower than would clear the market may be that there is a shortage, which would drive the market price very high. High prices, especially in the case of necessities, are undesirable with regard to those who cannot afford them. Traditionalist economists argue, however, that high prices act to reduce waste of the scarce resource while also providing incentive to produce more. Rationing using ration stamps is only one kind of non-price rationing. For example, scarce products can be rationed using queues. This is seen, for example, at amusement parks, where one pays a price to get in and then need not pay any price to go on the rides. Similarly, in the absence of road pricing, access to roads is rationed in a first come, first served queueing process, leading to congestion. Authorities which introduce rationing often have to deal with the rationed goods being sold illegally on the black market..
What does the word ration mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word ration in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with ration and anagrams of ration.
Definitions of "ration"
- A fixed portion, especially an amount of food allotted to persons in military service or to civilians in times of scarcity. noun
- Food issued or available to members of a group. noun
- To supply with rations. verb-transitive
- To distribute as rations: rationed out flour and sugar. See Synonyms at distribute. verb-transitive
- To restrict to limited allotments, as during wartime. verb-transitive
- A portion designated to a person or group. noun
- To supply with a ration; to limit (someone) to a specific allowance of something. verb
- To portion out (especially during a shortage of supply); to limit access to. verb
- To restrict (an activity etc.) verb
- A fixed daily allowance of provisions assigned to a soldier in the army, or a sailor in the navy, for his subsistence. noun
- Hence, a certain portion or fixed amount dealt out; an allowance; an allotment. noun
- To supply with rations, as a regiment. verb-transitive
- To supply with rations; provision.
- To divide into rations; distribute or apportion in rations.
- An allowance of means of subsistence for a fixed period of time; specifically, in the army and navy, an allotment or apportionment of provisions for daily consumption to each officer and man, or of forage for each horse. noun
- Any stated or fixed amount or quantity dealt out; an allowance or allotment. noun
- In stock-feeding, the sum of food regularly supplied to an animal, usually the amount per day. noun
- restrict the consumption of a relatively scarce commodity, as during war verb
- distribute in rations, as in the army verb
The word "ration" in example sentences
Student-teacher ration is about 8 to 1, and about one out of every five Skeners is of school age.. [Archive 2004-08-08]
RENEE MONTAGNE, host: In Cuba, everyone gets a basic monthly food ration from the communist government.. [Amid Reforms, Cubans Fret Over Food Rations Fate]
Sure, superdestroyer, but to argue that they are passed on to consumers at anything close to a 1: 1 ration is equally foolish.. [Matthew Yglesias » Obama’s Budget]
The daily food ration from the meagre stocks was about half a spoonful of tuna or salmon.. [Chile miners: Rescued foreman Luis Urzúa's first interview]
The price/quality ration is very high and the reel performed flawlessly.. [Gear Review: Daiwa Strikeforce 100SH Baitcasting Reel]
We have some tough decisions to make about priorities and to me cutting defense to pay for universal coverage until we figure out the best way to ration is a win.. [Obama accepts apology]
(The fields still received their scant daily ration from the meager offerings of the river.). [Water And Culture Shock]
I hear the cholocate ration is going up to 10 grammes next week.. [Boing Boing: November 5, 2006 - November 11, 2006 Archives]
My strict ration is one castle, or one cathedral or one stately home per day.. [A three mile stroll through Mexican history]
Meat rationing begins in the U.S., but the ration is 28 ounces per week, and meat production rises by approximately. [What Did You Do in the War, Grandma?: Timeline]
Meat: The weekly meat ration is allowed to cost 1/2d, and the "tuppence" is supposed to be corned meat.. [St. George Meets New Dragons]
The public should be informed that pro-ration is not uniformly applied in Canada and that this is one of its present weaknesses.. [Save Our Timber and Forest Industries]
What he did not say, however, was that pro-ration is probably a good temporary controlling influence though economically I think it is very much like monetary inflation which stimulates business for a time, but in the end is not so healthy.. [Save Our Timber and Forest Industries]
(Applause) That is a very practical demonstration in ration-building compared with some of the vapid things we sometimes hear on the political platform about our greatness.. [Pacific Problems and Canada's Part in Them]
The odds are against him ever becoming a superstar, as you'll see if you look at the long-term ration of. [Blog updates]
Re: that’s why some economists think the employment-to-working-population-ration is the best number to look at.. [Matthew Yglesias » The Architect]
Ration TranslatesRation English to Turkish Translate
(i.), (f.) pay, hisse; vesika ile verilen miktar; tayın, er azığı; (f.) tayın vermek; vesika ile dağıtmak; tayın miktarını tespit etmek.(i.), (f.) pay, hisse; vesika ile verilen miktar; tayın, er azığı; (f.) tayın vermek; vesika ile dağıtmak; tayın miktarını tespit etmek.
News about ration
Kumbh Mela: How to plan the world's biggest gathering
Some 120 million Hindu pilgrims are expected to gather at the Kumbh Mela between now and March.
The Xiaomi Mi 8 Pro is a unique and brilliant smartphone
Xiaomi has finally arrived in the UK, and the Mi 8 Pro makes an immediate splash. Xiaomi has elevated itself to one of the world's leading smartphone manufacturers without any real presence in the west. The Chinese company has still been able to build a passi…
No-deal Brexit is a national disaster. It is every politician’s job to avert it | Jonathan Freedland
No government, or opposition, should countenance inflicting the hardships of war on its country. This is collective madness Late on Tuesday, the Labour MP David Lammy tweeted these words: “I just want to run through the corridors screaming “wake the **** up p…