Recent Wiki - What is the recent?
What does the word recent mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word recent in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with recent and anagrams of recent.
Definitions of "recent"
- Of, belonging to, or occurring at a time immediately before the present. adjective
- Modern; new. adjective
- Geology Of, belonging to, or denoting the Holocene Epoch. See Table at geologic time. adjective
- Having happened a short while ago. adjective
- Up-to-date; not old-fashioned or dated. adjective
- Of late origin, existence, or occurrence; lately come; not of remote date, antiquated style, or the like; not already known, familiar, worn out, trite, etc.; fresh; novel; new; modern. adjective
- Of or pertaining to the present or existing epoch. adjective
- Of or pertaining to time just before the present; not long past in occurrence or existence; lately happening or being; newly appearing, done, or made: as, recent events; recent importations; recent memories; recent news; a recent speech.
- Of modern date, absolutely or relatively; not of primitive or remote origin; belonging to or occurring in times not far removed.
- Still fresh in quality or existence; not old or degenerate; unchanged by time: said of things liable to rapid change, as newly gathered plants or specimens in natural history.
- In geology, of or pertaining to the epoch regarded as the present from a geological point of view.
- Lately come; not long removed or separated.
- Synonyms Late, Fresh, etc. See new.
- new adjective
- of the immediate past or just previous to the present time adjective
- approximately the last 10,000 years noun
The word "recent" in example sentences
Sarah Palin tore into Michelle Obama on Fox News Wednesday, criticizing the first lady for what she characterized as a recent condescending defense of her husband's presidency.. [Sarah Palin Slams Michelle Obama On Fox News Over Defense Of Husband's Presidency (VIDEO)]
After listing what it describes as recent "notable successes" against al-Qaeda, particularly its Afghan Taliban allies, the committee gives its thanks and congratulations to "the administration as a whole and in particular the men and women of the U.S. military.". [Military expands intelligence role]
This comes just a day after North Korean TV showed what it called recent footage of the secretive leader.. [CNN Transcript Apr 9, 2009]
At the Armenian cafe Urartu off Broadway, Appo Jabarian scans his email inbox for news of what he dubs the recent "secret agreement.". [In Armenian Enclave, Turkish Deal Arouses Suspicion]
And now North Korea releases what it calls recent video of an apparently healthy Kim Jong-il.. [CNN Transcript Apr 8, 2009]
Well, Cuban TV is airing what it calls recent footage of former President Fidel Castro looking healthier and well rested.. [CNN Transcript Aug 24, 2009]
Cuban TV is airing what it called recent footage of former President Fidel Castro.. [CNN Transcript Aug 24, 2009]
CHETRY: Cuba TV airing what it called recent footage of former President Fidel Castro and in it he looks well-rested and fit.. [CNN Transcript Aug 24, 2009]
When I asked him what he called the recent unpleasantness, Woo was remarkably candid: "The uprising, in African-American neighborhoods-and the riot in other parts of the city.". [City Of Euphemisms]
Mr. Bernanke signaled he isn't contemplating higher interest rates despite what he called a recent "jump" in inflation.. [Pound Falls To Two-Year Low]
A statement saying the company is just astonished, their words, by what it refers to as recent rumors.. [CNN Transcript Apr 3, 2007]
President Bush said what he called recent success on border security will allow him to bring the new Congress on board with his plans for comprehensive immigration reform.. [CNN Transcript Nov 11, 2006]
Sunday, the Israeli military released what it called recent video of Hezbollah rockets being fired from within the village.. [CNN Transcript Jul 31, 2006]
Opposition parties in Lesotho on Tuesday announced a civil disobedience campaign and a series of strikes to denounce what they called the recent coup by Prime Minister Ntsu Mokhehle, who over the weekend formed a new party, the Lesotho Congress for Democracy.. [ANC Daily News Briefing]
He referred contemptuously to what he called the recent "flurry of rumors of 'peace feelers,"'as if there had not been any reality to them at all.. [A Special Supplement: Vietnam: How Not to Negotiate]
South Africa's minister of police, Nathi Mthethwa, has vowed to combat what he calls a "recent upsurge" in the number of police being killed-55 since the beginning of the year.. [The Economist: Daily news and views]