Receptor Wiki - What is the receptor?
What does the word receptor mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word receptor in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with receptor and anagrams of receptor.
Definitions of "receptor"
- A specialized cell or group of nerve endings that responds to sensory stimuli. noun
- A molecular structure or site on the surface or interior of a cell that binds with substances such as hormones, antigens, drugs, or neurotransmitters. noun
- A molecular complex of a cell through the union with which alien cell-products or cell-constituents can produce, their specific effects upon the coll. These same receptors, owing to the presence of which the cell is open to attack, when cast off from the cell constitute its most effective defenses. Also called
side-chain. See immunity, 5. noun
- In wireless telegraphy, a receiver. noun
- The terminal expansion in skin or mucous membranes of a sensory nerve. noun
proteinon a cell wallthat binds with specific moleculesso that they can be absorbedinto the cell in order to controlcertain functions. noun
- Any specialized
cellor structurethat respondsto sensory stimuli. noun
- a cellular structure that is postulated to exist in order to mediate between a chemical agent that acts on nervous tissue and the physiological response noun
- an organ having nerve endings (in the skin or viscera or eye or ear or nose or mouth) that respond to stimulation noun