Regret Wiki - What is the regret?
Regret is a negative conscious and emotional reaction to one's personal decision-making, a choice resulting in action or inaction. Regret is related to perceived opportunity. Its intensity varies over time after the decision, in regard to action versus inaction, and in regard to self-control at a particular age. The self-recrimination which comes with regret is thought to spur corrective action and adaptation. In Western societies adults have the highest regrets regarding choices of their education..
What does the word regret mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word regret in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with regret and anagrams of regret.
Definitions of "regret"
- To feel sorry, disappointed, or distressed about. verb-transitive
- To remember with a feeling of loss or sorrow; mourn. verb-transitive
- To feel regret. verb-intransitive
- A sense of loss and longing for someone or something gone. noun
- A feeling of disappointment or distress about something that one wishes could be different. noun
- A courteous expression of regret, especially at having to decline an invitation. noun
- To feel sorry about (a thing that has happened), afterthink: to wish that a thing had not happened, that something else had happened instead. verb
- To feel sorry about (any thing). verb
- The instance of such an emotion. noun
- Pain of mind on account of something done or experienced in the past, with a wish that it had been different; a looking back with dissatisfaction or with longing; grief; sorrow; especially, a mourning on account of the loss of some joy, advantage, or satisfaction. noun
- Dislike; aversion. noun
- To experience regret on account of; to lose or miss with a sense of regret; to feel sorrow or dissatisfaction on account of (the happening or the loss of something) verb-transitive
- To look back at with sorrow; feel grief or sorrowful longing for on looking back.
- To grieve at; be mentally distressed on account of: as, to regret one's rashness; to regret a choice made.
- Synonyms To rue, lament. See repentance.
- Grief or trouble caused by the want or loss of something formerly possessed; a painful sense of loss; desire for what is gone; sorrowful longing. noun
- Pain or distress of mind, as at something done or left undone; the earnest wish that something had not been done or did not exist; bitterness of reflection. noun
- Dislike; aversion. noun
- An expression of regret: commonly in the plural. noun
The word "regret" in example sentences
My main regret is that I hardly ever finish my projects.. [Superhero Nation: how to write superhero novels and comic books » Avi’s Second Review Forum]
Our main regret is that the Tory leader didn't look to Margaret Thatcher as his role model as well.. [Britain's 'Austerity' Lessons]
My main regret is that finances didn't extend to a print run.. [To be fair...]
There's Chairman Mao: "The word regret was not in his dictionary," according to "The Private Life of Chairman Mao," by Li Zhisui, who was Mao's private physician for more than 20 years.. [Boston.com Top Stories]
Citi Field, Dickey (8-5) reflected on what he called the regret factor in baseball and how he had none after Friday night's game.. [NYT > Home Page]
So perhaps "regret" is not the word you were looking for?. [BSFA Nomination]
Sometimes I would think good for me I followed my path and didnt turn back in regret or wonder to far from my career path.. [The not so straight and narrow]
The only thing I regret is that I lost a whole year of Infontavil benefits.. [American already married to Mexican National moving to Mexico]
My only regret is I won't be able to read anything else new by him.. [MIND MELD: What Book Introduced You to Science Fiction?]
But to answer the question properly - what are we missing out on - my own regret is that I don't get to read French steampunk!. [MIND MELD: Guide to International SF/F (Part I )]
My only regret is that Day does not include the lyrics Coward wrote to the tune of Cole Porter's "Let's Do It," the Las Vegas recording of which is an indisputable classic.. [Review of "The Noel Coward Reader," edited by Barry Day]
My only regret is that I think the scenes with Ramon will forever be scarred on my retina.. [Movies: The Proposal]
My biggest regret is that the people destroying our country, conservatives, will never see the history texts asking how it is that an entire group of people ignored fact, shouted down truth, attacked others when backed into a corner on policy, and basically crushed the spirit of the American people with hatred and fear.. [Fey likely to revive Palin impersonation]
My only regret is that these ILLEGALS will come to California, where we have all talk, no action, in regards to these ILLEGALS.. [Napolitano calls Arizona immigration law a 'cry of frustration']
My one regret is that Holder himself will not feel the pain directly and personally that is being caused here.. [Holder defends decision to try alleged 9/11 terrorists in New York]
My only regret is that my daughter is growing up way, way too fast, and someday far too soon she'll be up and off to college before I even know it.. ["Females will demand to go hunting exactly once..."]
Regret TranslatesRegret English to Turkish Translate
(f.), (i.) teessüf etmek, müteessif olmak, kederlenmek; pişman olmak, hasretini çekmek; (i.) esef, keder; pişmanlık; (eks.) (çoğ.) itizar, esef. send one's regrets davete gidemiyeceğini bildiren mesaj yollamak. regretful (s.) esef ve kederle dolu, kederli. regretfully (z.) esefle, acınarak, teessüfle. regrettable (s.) esefe lâyık.(f.), (i.) teessüf etmek, müteessif olmak, kederlenmek; pişman olmak, hasretini çekmek; (i.) esef, keder; pişmanlık; (eks.) (çoğ.) itizar, esef. send one's regrets davete gidemiyeceğini bildiren mesaj yollamak. regretful (s.) esef ve kederle dolu, kederli. regretfully (z.) esefle, acınarak, teessüfle. regrettable (s.) esefe lâyık.