Religious Wiki - What is the religious?
What does the word religious mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word religious in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with religious and anagrams of religious.
Definitions of "religious"
- Having or showing belief in and reverence for God or a deity. adjective
- Of, concerned with, or teaching religion: a religious text. adjective
- Extremely scrupulous or conscientious: religious devotion to duty. adjective
- A member of a monastic order, especially a nun or monk. noun
- Concerning religion. adjective
- Committed to the practice of religion. adjective
- Highly dedicated, as one would be to a religion. adjective
- A member of a religious order, i.e. a monk or nun. noun
- Of or pertaining to religion; concerned with religion; teaching, or setting forth, religion; set apart to religion adjective
- Possessing, or conforming to, religion; pious; godly adjective
- Scrupulously faithful or exact; strict. adjective
- Belonging to a religious order; bound by vows. adjective
- A person bound by monastic vows, or sequestered from secular concern, and devoted to a life of piety and religion; a monk or friar; a nun. noun
- Imbued with, exhibiting, or arising from religion; pious; godly; devout: as, a religious man; religious behavior: used in the authorized version of the Bible of outward observance (Jas. i. 26; Acts xiii. 43).
- Pertaining or devoted to a monastic life; belonging to a religious order; in the Roman Catholic Church, bound by the vows of a monastic order; regular.
- Bound by or abiding by some solemn obligation; scrupulously faithful; conscientious.
- Of or pertaining to religion; concerned with religion; teaching or setting forth religion; set apart for purposes connected with religion: as, a religious society; a religious sect; a religious place; religious subjects; religious books or teachers; religious liberty.
- Synonyms Devotional.
- Scrupulous, exact, strict, rigid. See religion.
The word "religious" in example sentences
The expulsion stirs intense, opposing reactions in Anne and Howard: She begins cultivating a resentment toward religious self-definition, while Howard, absorbing the message that his son is not officially Jewish, wonders whether his own parents were right all along about the inadvisability of religious intermarriage.. [Yaddo in the Land of Yoda]
Bosanquet distinguished religious beliefs about particular persons or events from ˜religion™ (or, what was the same thing for him, ˜religious belief as a whole™ or ˜religious consciousness™).. [My Recycled Soul]
He aims to: ���build an alliance between secular, religious and ���spiritual but not religious��� progressives ��� in part by challenging the anti-religious biases in parts of the liberal culture (while acknowledging the legitimacy of anger against those parts of the religious world that have embodied authoritarian, racist, sexist, homophobic or xenophobic practices and attitudes).. [Van Jones: Spiritual Activism: The Religious Left Fights Back ��� On All Fronts]
And I'm sorry but some atheists, particularly, seem invested in making the definition of religion as narrow as possible, some of them do so with religious fervor... which isn't *religious* only because they've carefully defined religion so narrowly that it no longer can be applied to conscience or ideology or cosmology or essential and profound world-view.. [Just in time for the election, Michael Newdow's "Under God" lawsuit is back, along with a challenge to "In God We Trust" on U.S. currency.]
They would happily force their religious beliefs upon your children, and force you to live by their hypocritical religious rules and standards.. [Printing: The Tree of Liberty is Wilting]
It was exclusively a _commercial_ city, there was nothing ecclesiastical (Babylon _ecclesiastical_, the religious system had been destroyed, when all _religious_ head-ship had been summed up in Apleon).. [The Mark of the Beast]
For, what _religious_ action, -- _i. e._, action prompted and guided by a principle, a religious doctrine, -- is possible without that principle, that doctrine?. [Catholic Problems in Western Canada]
Professed objects of the emigration two-fold -- religious and commercial; chiefly _religious_, for "converting and civilizing the idolatrous and savage Indian tribes" 26. [The Loyalists of America and Their Times, Vol. 1 of 2. From 1620-1816]
American people could be made _religious_; consequently they might carry their _religious influence_ to the _polls_; consequently the religious would be able to turn all the profane _out of office_; and consequently, the American people would become a _Christian nation!. [Diary in America, Series One]
Writing in the January Atlantic Monthly, Steven Waldman and John Green identify five Democratic tribes: the religious left (12.6 percent), seculars (10.7 percent), black Protestants (9.6 percent), those who are spiritual but not religious (5.3 percent) and the non-Christian religious left (4.6 percent) Jews, Buddhists and Muslims.. [Printing: Searching for the Democrats - Blue Clues]
I could not understand why UUs would allow the perversions of the religious right to define the word Christian or religious, for that matter, why they would concede religious language to the conservatives, and why they would go out of their way to construct a religion intentionally bereft of theology, rendering themselves a quasi-religion and many of their churches temples of denial and hypocrisy, where every spiritual path but the Christian path was considered valid, and where all evidence of a Christian past was removed, revised, and painted over.. [Philocrites: 'If UU Christians are so oppressed...']
I have never been able to get a grip on the term religious war.. [Tom Gerdy: Does A Gay Fetus Have Any Rights?]
Which brings me to the phrase "religious paleontologist.". [Robert J. Asher: 'Religious' Scientists And The Legacy Of Christopher Hitchens]
The phrase "religious Jewish extremist" is a crude and inappropriate descriptor to label Jews that shun a particular interpretation of Jesus.. [Eliyahu Federman: Shoving 'Kosher Jesus' Down Jews' Throats]
But after arguing that it'd be tough to characterize the Coca-Cola bottle as religious "without debasing the term 'religious' to embrace such things as the worship of material consumption," Kemp dismisses religious, or quasi-religious, identity as a defining feature of icons.. [Menachem Wecker: Only "Fuzzy" Factors Can Predict Iconic Images, New Book Suggests]
Or does the term religious bigotry only apply when the victim is religious?. ["Is anyone as unsurprised as I am that he's a Leo?"]