Rhubarb Wiki - What is the rhubarb?
Rhubarb (Rheum rhabarbarum or Rheum × hybridum according to the British Royal Horticultural Society) is a species of plant in the family Polygonaceae. It is a herbaceous perennial growing from short, thick rhizomes. The fleshy, edible stalks (petioles), are used in cooking, but the large, triangular leaves contain high levels of oxalic acid, making them inedible. The small flowers are grouped in large compound leafy greenish-white to rose-red inflorescences. Although rhubarb is a vegetable, it is often put to the same culinary uses as fruits. The leaf stalks can be used raw, when they have a crisp texture (similar to celery, although it is in a different family), but are most commonly cooked with sugar and used in pies, crumbles and other desserts. They have a strong, tart taste. Several varieties have been domesticated for human consumption, most of which are recognised as Rheum x hybridum by the Royal Horticultural Society. Rhubarb contains anthraquinones including rhein, and emodin and their glycosides (e.g. glucorhein), which impart cathartic and laxative properties. It is hence useful as a cathartic in case of constipation..
What does the word rhubarb mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word rhubarb in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with rhubarb and anagrams of rhubarb.
Definitions of "rhubarb"
- Any of several plants of the genus Rheum, especially R. rhabarbarum, having long green or reddish acidic leafstalks that are edible when sweetened and cooked. Also called pie plant. noun
- The dried, bitter-tasting rhizome and roots of Rheum palmatum or R. officinale of eastern Asia, used as a laxative. noun
- Informal A quarrel, fight, or heated discussion. noun
- Any plant of the genus Rheum, especially Rheum rharbarbarum, having large leaves and long green or reddish acidic leafstalks, that are edible, in particular when cooked (although the leaves are mildly poisonous). noun
- The dried rhizome and roots of Rheum palmatum or Rheum officinale, from China, used as a laxative and purgative. noun
- A word repeated softly to emulate background conversation. (see rhubarb rhubarb). noun
- An excited, angry exchange of words, especially at a sporting event. noun
- A brawl. noun
- An RAF World War II code name for operations by aircraft (fighters and fighter bombers) seeking opportunity targets. noun
- The name of several large perennial herbs of the genus Rheum and order Polygonaceæ. noun
- The large and fleshy leafstalks of Rheum Rhaponticum and other species of the same genus. They are pleasantly acid, and are used in cookery. Called also pieplant. noun
- The root of several species of Rheum, used much as a cathartic medicine. noun
- The general name for plants of the genus Rheum, especially for species affording the drug rhubarb and the culinary herb of that name. noun
- The root of any medicinal rhubarb, or some preparation of it. noun
- The leafstalks of the garden rhubarb collectively; pie-plant. noun
- Resembling rhubarb; bitter.
- plants having long green or reddish acidic leafstalks growing in basal clumps; stems (and only the stems) are edible when cooked; leaves are poisonous noun
- long pinkish sour leafstalks usually eaten cooked and sweetened noun
The word "rhubarb" in example sentences
The name rhubarb comes from the Latin rhabarbarum meaning (depending on your viewpoint!) "root of the barbarians".. [Cook sister!]
In terms of journals I particularly enjoy — which here means journals that I review material from in rhubarb is susan — here’s a highly incomplete list.. [In Praise of Online Journals : Rigoberto González : Harriet the Blog : The Poetry Foundation]
It's a tough job that will involve collateral damage, but rhubarb is a survivor.. [In the garden this week: Rhubarb and some winter cheer]
Raspberry rhubarb is number one, but strawberry rhubarb is not far behind.. [Apples & Leaves Pie Top Cutter and a Giveaway! | Baking Bites]
Simmer until the rhubarb is dissolving, about 7 minutes.. [Chipotle-Rhubarb Glazed Turkey Burgers With Apple Pico De Gallo]
Rationalization: The potato-y qualities of the steroidal supermarket berries are mitigated by cooking, and the store-bought rhubarb is just fine, usually.. [Rushing the Pie: Pre-season Strawberry Rhubarb]
AAAAAAAAAH just the word rhubarb makes me think of spring time!. [big crumb coffee cake | smitten kitchen]
Just remember boys and girls, rhubarb is for eating, not for hitting.. [In Seattle, Rhubarb Season Is Here!]
The rhubarb, is of course, fresh as can be, crisp and garnet hued, grown by local farmers -- although hot house rhubarb can be a great consolation once the summer is over.. [IMBB #15: Christine Ferber's Rhubarb with Acacia Honey and Rosemary Jam]
The pairing of the rosemary and rhubarb is truly a revelation.. [IMBB #15: Christine Ferber's Rhubarb with Acacia Honey and Rosemary Jam]
No, my experience with rhubarb is it tends to loose it's pink.. [Rhubarb Coffee Cake]
Bake until the rhubarb is bubbly and crumb golden but not dark, about 45 minutes.. [Rhubarb Crisp]
Tart-rhubarb is propagated by seed or by division of the root, but the former method is generally considered the better.. [The Lady's Country Companion: or, How to Enjoy a Country Life Rationally]
You know, the Pennsylvania Dutch got right to the point when they called rhubarb pie plant; can’t beat a piece of rhubarb pie, regular or custard.. [Firedoglake » Sunday Talking Head Thread]
Did she give you any of that filthy concoction she calls rhubarb wine? ". [The Keeper of the Door]
I love the idea of rhubarb ice cream though - I don't think I've ever actually eaten it.. [Rhubarb Ice Cream]
Rhubarb TranslatesRhubarb English to Turkish Translate
i. ravent., bot. Rheum of ficinale: (ecza) ravent kökünden yapılan bir müshil veya kuvvet ilâcı: (argo) kavga, meydan kavgası. rhubarby s. raventli, ravende benzer. garden rhubarb papaz ravendi, bot. Rheum rhaponticum wild rhubarb keçikulağı.i. ravent., bot. Rheum of ficinale: (ecza) ravent kökünden yapılan bir müshil veya kuvvet ilâcı: (argo) kavga, meydan kavgası. rhubarby s. raventli, ravende benzer. garden rhubarb papaz ravendi, bot. Rheum rhaponticum wild rhubarb keçikulağı.