Saint Wiki - What is the saint?
A saint is a person who is recognized as having an exceptional degree of holiness or likeness or closeness to God. Depending on the context and denomination, the term also retains its original Christian meaning, as any believer who is "in Christ" and in whom Christ dwells, whether in Heaven or on Earth. In Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Anglican, Oriental Orthodox, and Lutheran doctrine, all of their faithful deceased in Heaven are considered to be saints, but some are considered worthy of greater honor or emulation; official ecclesiastical recognition, and consequently veneration, is given to some saints through the process of canonization in the Catholic Church or glorification in the Eastern Orthodox Church.While the English word saint originated in Christianity, historians of religion now use the appellation "in a more general way to refer to the state of special holiness that many religions attribute to certain people", with the Jewish tzadik, the Islamic walī, the Hindu rishi or Sikh guru, and the Buddhist arhat or bodhisattva also being referred to as saints. Depending on the religion, saints are recognized either by official ecclesiastical declaration, as in the Catholic faith, or by popular acclamation (see Folk saint)..
What does the word saint mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word saint in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with saint and anagrams of saint.
Definitions of "saint"
- Christianity A person officially recognized, especially by canonization, as being entitled to public veneration and capable of interceding for people on earth. noun
- A person who has died and gone to heaven. noun
- A member of any of various religious groups, especially a Latter-Day Saint. noun
- An extremely virtuous person. noun
- To name, recognize, or venerate as a saint; canonize. verb-transitive
- A person to whom a church or another religious group has officially attributed the title of "saint". noun
- A person with positive qualities. noun
- One who is sanctified or made holy; a person who is separated unto God’s service. noun
- To canonize, to formally recognize someone as a saint. verb
- A person sanctified; a holy or godly person; one eminent for piety and virtue; any true Christian, as being redeemed and consecrated to God. noun
- One of the blessed in heaven. noun
- One canonized by the church. noun
- To act or live as a saint. verb-intransitive
- To make a saint of; to enroll among the saints by an offical act, as of the pope; to canonize; to give the title or reputation of a saint to (some one). verb-transitive
- Holy; sacred: only in attributive use, and now only before proper names, as Saint John, Saint Paul, Saint Augustine, or quasi-proper names, as Saint Saviour, Saint Sophia (Holy Wisdom), Saint Cross, Saint Sepulcher (in names of churches), where it is usually regarded as a noun appositive, a quasi-title. See II., 3.
- One who has been consecrated or set a part to the service of God: applied in the Old Testament to the Israelites as a people (Ps. cxxxii. 9; compare Num. xvi. 3), and in the New Testament to all members of the Christian churches (2 Cor. i. 1). noun
- One who is pure and upright in heart and life; hence, in Scriptural and Christian usage, one who has been regenerated and sanctified by the Spirit of God; one of the redeemed: applied to them both in their earthly and in their heavenly state; also used of persons of other religions: as, a Buddhist saint. noun
- One who is eminent for consecration, holiness, and piety in life and character; specifically, one who is generally or officially recognized as an example of holiness of life, and to whose name it is customary to prefix Saint (abbreviated St. or S.) as a title. noun
- An angel. noun
The word "saint" in example sentences
That name, with the addition of _saint_, is inserted in the Roman calendar; and the saint, by a rare felicity, is crowned with the praises of the historians and philosophers of an enlightened age.. [History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire — Volume 5]
If you look at the stamp, our saint is accompanied by a nice dog.. [Global Voices in English » Bolivia: Honoring Dogs on the Feast of St. Roch]
An advertisement within paragraph (d) of this Class may be displayed only in the county with which the saint is associated.. [The First Of The Gang To Die. « POLICE INSPECTOR BLOG]
Both hands holding on to her scarf, she sat in the passenger seat, and whenever they approached an intersection, she prayed to her name saint, Hedwig, whose miracles and peacemaking had saved many lives.. [Stones from the River]
I will begin with a religious song, a miracle-the Miracle of Saint Nicolas or The King's Nursemaid, which must have originated on the frontier of Switzerland, centuries ago-where the saint is the revered patron.. [Folk Songs of French Canada]
This monastery was built over the bones of what he called a saint, and people came there and were cured of many diseases.. [Lectures of Col. R. G. Ingersoll, Volume I Including His Answers to the Clergy, His Oration at His Brother's Grave, Etc., Etc.]
The saint, at any rate Tolstoys kind of saint, is not trying to work an improvement in earthly life: he is trying to bring it to an end and put something different in its place.. [Lear, Tolstoy and the Fool]
Christian, and does his duty methodically -- with system, and not by fits and starts, -- it is a very high compliment you pay him; and as for the term saint, let me assure you that those who do not become saints have their souls in a very perilous condition. ". [Salt Water The Sea Life and Adventures of Neil D'Arcy the Midshipman]
The saint is duly shown carrying an icon, and his hand is extended in invitation to those who dwell in the land to which he first came with the Gospel of salvation.. [The Christian Artist]
The patron saint is usually connected in a personal way to the people for whom they pray; some small element of their life makes them the go-to person for those of us on earth seeking some special prayers.. [Rev. James Martin, S.J.: Mother Mary MacKillop: The Patron Saint of Abuse Victims]
Hey Tom, if you're such a saint, is there some reason you didn't blow the whistle when it would have mattered ...... not just when it has the potential to make you some cash?. [Ridge condemned for trying to profit from terror alert assertions]
In the last season of The Wire, many people thought the newspaper story was a disappointment (Gus, the saint, is crushed by management while Templeton, the fraud, is elevated to hero status).. [Ask me anything]
Your identification of their patron saint is not just funny, it is completely appropriate.. [Dia del Transito]
Regina, Two years ago the moment I heard your tragic news, my prayer to your little saint is that he would pray for his family's consolation.. [Joshua Michael July 26, 2001 - July 8, 2006]
Iraqi security forces deployed about 200 women this week to search female pilgrims during a procession toward the northern Baghdad neighborhood of Kazimiyah, where an 8th century Shiite saint is buried.. [Four female suicide bombers kill 57 in Iraq]
The saint is recognizable as John the Baptist from the hairy cloak and the Agnus Dei that he carries.. [Sensual Encounters: Monastic Women and Spirituality in Medieval Germany]
Saint TranslatesSaint English to Turkish Translate
s., i., f. (kıs. St., S.) aziz, mukaddes kutsal, mubarek; i. evliya, aziz, eren; f. azizler mertebesine çıkarmak St. Andrew's cross X şeklinde haç. St. Bernard dog senbernar köpeği St. Elmo's fire bak. corposant St. John's bread keçi boynuzu. St. Nicholas, Santa Claus Noel baba. St. Patrick's Day irlanda'da resmi yortu günü, 17 Mart Saint's day bir azizin yortusu St. Valentine's Day 14 Şubat; bak. valentine. St. Vitus's dance tıb. kore All Saints' Day Kasım ayının ilk gününe tesadüf eden Bütün Azizler yortusu. saintlike s. evliya gibi, azizlere yaraşan; çok mübarek, çok sabırlı.s., i., f. (kıs. St., S.) aziz, mukaddes kutsal, mubarek; i. evliya, aziz, eren; f. azizler mertebesine çıkarmak St. Andrew's cross X şeklinde haç. St. Bernard dog senbernar köpeği St. Elmo's fire bak. corposant St. John's bread keçi boynuzu. St. Nicholas, Santa Claus Noel baba. St. Patrick's Day irlanda'da resmi yortu günü, 17 Mart Saint's day bir azizin yortusu St. Valentine's Day 14 Şubat; bak. valentine. St. Vitus's dance tıb. kore All Saints' Day Kasım ayının ilk gününe tesadüf eden Bütün Azizler yortusu. saintlike s. evliya gibi, azizlere yaraşan; çok mübarek, çok sabırlı.