Select Wiki - What is the select?
What does the word select mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word select in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with select and anagrams of select.
Definitions of "select"
- To take as a choice from among several; pick out. verb-transitive
- To make a choice or selection. verb-intransitive
- Singled out in preference; chosen: a select few. adjective
- Of special quality or value; choice: select peaches. adjective
- Of or relating to a lean grade of beef. adjective
- Careful or refined in making selections; discriminating. adjective
- One that is chosen in preference to others or because of special value. noun
- Chosen or preferred items or people considered as a group. Often used with the. noun
- Privileged, specially selected. adjective
- Of high quality; top-notch. adjective
- To choose one or more elements of a set, especially a set of options. verb
- Taken from a number by preferance; picked out as more valuable or exellent than others; of special value or exellence; nicely chosen; selected; choice. adjective
- To choose and take from a number; to take by preference from among others; to pick out; to cull. verb-transitive
- To choose or pick out from a number; pick out; choose: as, to select the best; to select a site for a monument.
- Synonyms To Elect, Prefer, etc. (see choose), single out, fix upon, pitch upon.
- To conduct artificial selection methodically. See second quotation under methodical selection, below.
- Chosen on account of special excellence or fitness; carefully picked or selected; hence, choice; composed of or containing the best, choicest, or most desirable: as, select poems; a select party; a select neighborhood.
- Careful or fastidious in choice, or in associating with others; exclusive; also, made with or exhibiting carefulness or fastidiousness.
- = Syn.1. Picked. See choose.
The word "select" in example sentences
Even the Palm Pre uses a quasimode to select text: the «select» quasimode is activated by holding down the shift key on the keyboard.. [Daring Fireball]
I can't remember the exact name, but it was handed out after the match during the accolades process, and then became available in the title select menu.. [IGN Complete]
So the aspiring lady received what she called select company on a. [The Von Toodleburgs Or, The History of a Very Distinguished Family]
In 1830, "Mr. Barbour, a graduate of Washington College, Connecticut," was teaching what he called a select school in Raleigh.. [North Carolina Schools and Academies 1790-1840 A Documentary History]
The Rev.Mr. Veal had an orrery, an electrifying machine, a turning lathe, a theatre (in the wash-house), a chemical apparatus, and what he called a select library of all the works of the best authors of ancient and modern times and languages.. [Vanity Fair]
Michael, I also would consider myself a "select case" in that regard, but I have a lot of cynicism in that "select" is probably pretty accurate.. [A Pricey Cup Of Joe]
Jimmy Choo for H&M will probs sell out in select stores carrying it, if only because 'select' tends to mean 'in or near major shopping cities.'. [Alexandra Sinderbrand: Don't Do the Choo]
The ad, entitled "Distract," will run on broadcast and cable outlets for the next few weeks in select markets in Illinois, according to the Kirk campaign.. [Kirk mentions BP, accuses Giannoulias of distracting in new ad]
Using that menu, a developer could quickly select from a list of existing properties and insert them in semantically appropriate locations on a web page.. [Web Teacher › Dear Adobe, Here’s an idea for you]
At this time, Comparison Ads will only show to a small number of users in select U.S. states and is only available to a limited number of advertisers in the mortgage/refinance space.. [Introducing AdWords Comparison Ads]
About 63% of meat graded for quality is classified as choice, while 29% is classified as select.. [Wal-Mart Sets Prices Sizzling For Choice Beef]
When Scott Caan, 33, wrote the script for Mercy (in select theaters now and available via video-on-demand), he handpicked his famous father, James, 70, to play his on-screen father in the romance.. [Dad/son duo James and Scott Caan have 'Mercy']
Update 11: 10AM: The kind folks over at Blighty have let me know that a LIMITED EDITION Blighty Umbrella is being given out with the Evening Standard in select locations, tagged with a nice message. [UKTV Channel Rebranded as Blighty Launches « Art & Business of Motion]
The only reason we see deflation in select products is because goods deflate and inflate at variable values, and some manage to beat the government induced level on inflation.. [Matthew Yglesias » Alan Reynolds Embraces Deflation]
In season, certainly in the tequila state of Jalisco, the incautious may select from a roadside array of gallons of the national drink, cheap to buy and guaranteed eventually to kill or maim.. [Free riding the roads of Mexico]
One week from today Gerrymandering will be in select theaters nationwide.. [Jeff Reichert: Gerrymandering: How's it Gonna Be?]