Seven Wiki - What is the seven?
What does the word seven mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word seven in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with seven and anagrams of seven.
Definitions of "seven"
- The cardinal number equal to 6 + 1. noun
- The seventh in a set or sequence. noun
- A numerical value equal to 7; the number occurring after six and before eight. noun
- The digit/figure 7 or an occurrence thereof. noun
- A card bearing seven pips. noun
- One more than six; six and one added. adjective
- The number greater by one than six; seven units or objects. noun
- A symbol representing seven units, as 7, or vii. noun
- One more than six; the sum of three and four: a cardinal numeral.
- (b ) The constellation Ursa Major.
- The Pleiades.
- The number greater by one than six; a group of things amounting to this number. noun
- The symbol representing this number, as 7, or VII, or vii. noun
- plural In Eng. hymnology, a species of trochaic meter having seven syllables to the line, and properly four lines to the stanza. Sevens double (7s, D.) has eight lines, and other varieties are marked by the number of lines, as 7s, 6l, or 7s, 3l. noun
- A playing-card with seven spots or pips on it. noun
- To set in confusion. noun
- being one more than six adjective
- one of four playing cards in a deck with seven pips on the face noun
- the cardinal number that is the sum of six and one noun
The word "seven" in example sentences
Since it is necessary that seven plus two is greater than seven, when the number nine is referred to as ˜seven plus two™ it is essentially greater than seven.. [Essential vs. Accidental Properties]
Whereupon the Bishop wrote that he "felt persuaded that there were not above seven of any note who did not conform themselves" to the church ordinances; while the Vicar said he "did not know of _half seven_ of any note but do the like.". [The Churches of Coventry A Short History of the City & Its Medieval Remains]
A farthing a day is seven shillings a year, answered the M.P.; seven shillings a year is the interest of seven guineas.. [VII. Crawley of Queens Crawley]
He ran him for seven miles -- _seven miles_, mind you!. [The Dude Wrangler]
We mustered seven hands all told, six seamen and myself -- _seven only out of our entire crew_!. [The Congo Rovers A Story of the Slave Squadron]
These “seven nights,” however, are frequently interpreted, figuratively, to mean _seven years_, a rendering which often serves to relieve the shaman from a very embarrassing position.. [Seventh Annual Report of the Bureau of Ethnology to the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution, 1885-1886, Government Printing Office, Washington, 1891]
Through the seven planetary spheres, represented by the Mystic Ladder of the Mithriac Initiations, and it by that which Jacob saw in his dream (not with _three_, but with _seven_ steps), the Souls, emanating from the Deity, descended, to be united to their human bodies; and through those seven spheres they must re-ascend, to return to their origin and home in the bosom of the Deity.. [Morals and Dogma of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry]
But a triple iteration of the number 7, simply saying '_Seven seven seven_,' would be even more rememberable.. [The Posthumous Works of Thomas De Quincey, Vol. 2]
'_Seven seven seven_' is remembered even _more_ easily. [. [The Posthumous Works of Thomas De Quincey, Vol. 2]
In another place he talks of a "serpent with seven heads," which is a manifest corruption of the text; for the words "_seven heads_" are not mentioned in that verse. [. [The Prose Works of Jonathan Swift, D.D. — Volume 09 Contributions to The Tatler, The Examiner, The Spectator, and The Intelligencer]
Census Bureau's recent report that 44 million Americans, or one in seven, is living in poverty, including one in five children.. [Lindsay McCluskey: A DREAM Undeterred]
Hashim conceded only five points in the final and went on to win the title seven times.. [World champion Nick Matthew presses the case for squash | Frank Keating]
But, actually, history tells us that's not true [over the last 12 years Leicester have won the title seven times while Wasps have been champions on four occasions].. [Bath's Ian McGeechan heading for his half century and keen for more]
"I can rate many of Michael's seasons, obviously winning the title seven times," said Vettel, sat alongside Schumacher at the time of the question.. [The Independent - Frontpage RSS Feed]
They have won the title seven times and are chasing their fourth crown in five seasons.. [Planet Rugby News - Rugby Union News]
The Times of India crowed that Indian-American children have now won the title seven times out of 10.. [Blog updates]