Shepherd Wiki - What is the shepherd?
A shepherd or sheepherder is a person who tends, herds, feeds, or guards herds of sheep. Shepherd derives from Old English sceaphierde (sceap 'sheep' + hierde 'herder')..
What does the word shepherd mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word shepherd in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with shepherd and anagrams of shepherd.
Definitions of "shepherd"
- One who herds, guards, and tends sheep. noun
- One who cares for and guides a group of people, as a minister or teacher. noun
- A German shepherd. noun
- To herd, guard, tend, or guide as or in the manner of a shepherd. See Synonyms at guide. verb-transitive
- A person who tends sheep. noun
- Someone who watches over, looks after, or guides somebody. noun
- To watch over; to guide verb
- For a player to obstruct an opponent from getting to the ball, either when a teammate has it or is going for it, or if the ball is about to bounce through the goal or out of bounds. verb
- A man employed in tending, feeding, and guarding sheep, esp. a flock grazing at large. noun
- The pastor of a church; one with the religious guidance of others. noun
- To tend as a shepherd; to guard, herd, lead, or drive, as a shepherd. verb-transitive
- To tend or guide as a shepherd.
- To attend or wait on; gallant.
- To watch over, as a mining claim, and establish a right to it by doing a certain-amount of work on it: said especially of digging small pits in the neighborhood of a rich deposit of gold; hence, to attend or hang about (a person) on the chance of getting something out of him.
- A man who herds, tends, and guards sheep in pasture; a pastor. noun
- A miner who does not work a claim, though preserving his legal rights respecting it. noun
- a herder of sheep (on an open range); someone who keeps the sheep together in a flock noun
- watch over like a shepherd, as a teacher of her pupils verb
- a clergyman who watches over a group of people noun
The word "shepherd" in example sentences
Lest the Jews should suppose that He who was just before described as a "shepherd" is a mere man, He is now described as God.. [Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible]
Basically, as far as I understand Frye, being a humble shepherd is not enough to make you an ironic “nobody”.. [A Theory of Modes and Modalities]
Intending to raise the baby himself, but not possessing of the means to do so, the shepherd gives it to a fellow shepherd from a distant land, who spends the summers sharing pastureland with his flocks.. [Archive 2009-03-01]
The child had the nimbleness of a mountain shepherd, and Prometheus — the grace of an almost-god.. [FIREBRINGER • by Therese Arkenberg]
His father was Brown, a wolf-dog that had been brought down from Alaska, and his mother was a half-wild mountain shepherd dog.. [The Other Animals]
Also, they think Tar, our bear-like german shepherd, is the cutest thing that ever lived.. [My Dead Texan | clusterflock]
The lamb version is often called shepherd's pie but neither term is exact.. [Archive 2008-09-01]
The shepherd is astonished, because that is exactly right.. [Think Progress » The Attack Dog Presidency]
God is called a shepherd to his people see Psalm 77:20, 78:71, 80:1.. [101 Amazing Truths about Jesus]
I don't think becoming a shepherd is going to be one of my occupations anytime soon.. [Shepherds Wanted - Must Know Accounting!]
We know that during the RJR Nabisco matter, there was a flight on one of the company planes where the manifest said the passenger was G. Shepherd, as in German shepherd dog.. [Perfectly Legal:The Covert Campaign to Rig our Tax System to Benefit the Super Rich- and Cheat Everyone Else]
Z told us that this was the man whose grandfather was the Palestinian cobbler to whom the Dead Sea Scrolls were offered as scrap leather by the Bedouin shepherd who found them — a story too good to subject to the discourtesies of investigative journalism.. [Zion's Vital Signs]
Amos is described as a shepherd who wandered north from the rural Judahite village of Tekoa.. [The Bible Unearthed]
If a shepherd is handy, let him pipe up a little, so as to put Guy into good spirits, as the stabbing of the seneschal is on his nerves a bit.. [How to Write a Novel for the Masses]
He seems to be a shepherd; just a shepherd from the low hills.. [The Golden Apple Tree]
When she called a shepherd from his flocks in the green valley to build for her a bell-tower so that she might hear, night and morning, the call to the altar, the shepherd built for her in such fashion that the belfry has been the Pharos of Art for five centuries.. [Wisdom, Wit, and Pathos of Ouida Selected from the Works of Ouida]
Shepherd TranslatesShepherd English to Turkish Translate
(i.), (f.) çoban; önder, kılavuz; (f.) çobanlık etmek, sürüyü gütmek. shep herd dog çoban köpeği. shepherdess (i.) kadın çoban.(i.), (f.) çoban; önder, kılavuz; (f.) çobanlık etmek, sürüyü gütmek. shep herd dog çoban köpeği. shepherdess (i.) kadın çoban.