Similar Wiki - What is the similar?
What does the word similar mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word similar in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with similar and anagrams of similar.
Definitions of "similar"
- Having a resemblance in appearance or nature; alike though not identical. adjective
- Having corresponding angles equal and corresponding line segments proportional. Used of geometric figures. adjective
- Having characteristics in common; like in form, appearance, size, qualities, relations, etc.; having a more or less marked resemblance to each other or one another; in some respects identical; bearing a resemblance, as to something implied or specified: as, the general features of the two landscapes are similar; the plans are similar.
- Homogeneous; of like structure or character throughout.
- In geometry, of the same shape: said of two figures which have all their corresponding angles equal, whence it will follow, for ordinary Euclidean space, that all their corresponding lengths will be proportional, that their corresponding areas will be in the duplicate ratio of their lengths, and that their corresponding volumes will be in the triplicate ratio of their lengths.
- In biology, alike in some respects; identical to some extent.
- In music, in the same direction: said of the rising and falling of two voice-parts.
- That which is similar; that which resembles something else in form, appearance, quality, etc.; in the plural, things resembling one another. noun
- The homeopathic principle of administering drugs. See
- In the theory of aggregates, similarly arranged; coupled by a one-one relation.
- That which is similar to, or resembles, something else, as in quality, form, etc. noun
- Exactly corresponding; resembling in all respects; precisely like. adjective
- Nearly corresponding; resembling in many respects; somewhat like; having a general likeness. adjective
- Homogenous; uniform. adjective
- figures which differ from each other only in magnitude, being made up of the same number of like parts similarly situated. adjective
- such as have their several angles respectively equal, each to each, and their sides about the equal angles proportional. adjective
- such as are contained by the same number of similar planes, similarly situated, and having like inclination to one another. adjective
traitsor characteristicsin common; alike, comparable. adjective
- Of geometrical figures including
triangles, squares, ellipses, arcs and more complex figures, having the same shape but possibly different size, rotational orientation, and position; in particular, having corresponding angles equal and corresponding line segments proportional; such that one can be had from the other using a sequence of operations of rotation, translation and scaling. adjective