Solemn Wiki - What is the solemn?
Solemn "Solemn", a song by Tribal Tech from the album Dr. Hee 1987 "Solemn", a song by Arcane Roots from the album Melancholia Hymns 2017.
What does the word solemn mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word solemn in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with solemn and anagrams of solemn.
Definitions of "solemn"
- Deeply earnest, serious, and sober. adjective
- Somberly or gravely impressive. See Synonyms at serious. adjective
- Performed with full ceremony: a solemn High Mass. adjective
- Invoking the force of religion; sacred: a solemn vow. adjective
- Gloomy; somber. adjective
- Deeply serious and somber. adjective
- Somberly impressive. adjective
- Performed with great ceremony. adjective
- Sacred. adjective
- Gloomy or sombre. adjective
- Marked with religious rites and pomps; enjoined by, or connected with, religion; sacred. adjective
- Pertaining to a festival; festive; festal. adjective
- Stately; ceremonious; grand. adjective
- Fitted to awaken or express serious reflections; marked by seriousness; serious; grave; devout. adjective
- Real; earnest; downright. adjective
- Affectedly grave or serious. adjective
- Made in form; ceremonious; ; conforming with all legal requirements. adjective
- Recurring yearly; annual.
- Marked by religious rites or ceremonious observances; connected with religion; sacred; also, marked by special ritual or ceremony.
The word "solemn" in example sentences
But he gave what he called a solemn pledge: "We will hold ourselves responsible to do what it takes, as long as it takes, to stop this catastrophe, to repair the damage and to keep this region on its feet.". [Effort to Plug Well Hangs in Balance]
His expression solemn, he pulled the strip of plaid from behind his shoulder and draped the end over their joined hands.. [Ransom]
This opening round of hospitality completed, he seemed at a loss, his expression solemn.. [Remember Me, Irene]
Bradford nodded, trying his damnedest to keep his expression solemn.. [Rebellious Desire]
"That's what I call a solemn promise," exclaimed Tom, as Nanny concluded the prescribed speech.. [Harper's Young People, February 10, 1880 An Illustrated Weekly]
She even laid aside her usual quiet undemonstrativeness, and petted and made much of me, though she laughed a little at what she called my solemn face.. [Esther : a book for girls]
On Monday, the Family Leader released a response by Mr. Gingrich, who gave what he called a solemn vow "to defend and strengthen the family.". [NYT > Home Page]
Earlier we told you that Limbaugh - in what he called a solemn tribute - honored the late Gordon Dancy.. [Latest Articles]
In empires of eternal form, he never lived, a marble bust, in solemn air, august in strife, inert and noble, wreathed in gilt of autumn leaves.. [Archive 2009-07-01]
"You win," he said in solemn ecstasy, and passed his arms around her.. [CHAPTER XIII]
Quietly, in solemn silence, each with his one arm aided the one arm of the other in rolling and tying his bundle.. [THE PRINCESS]
Family members and friends of the dead read their names in solemn roll calls at each site as bells tolled.. [Obama on 9/11: 'No words can ease the ache of your hearts']
And there's the moment in solemn liturgies when all the candles are lit: those in the chandeliers and in the central corona; and then the first are made to swing widely, while the great corona is spun on its axis.. [Pentecost in the East]
The House of Lords measured 100 feet by 50 feet, and was decorated in solemn hues of gold and crimson, with lofty stained-glass windows depicting the past kings and queens of England.. [2009 June | Edwardian Promenade]
I read her articles feverishly, nodding my head in solemn confirmation of her thoughts on machismo - an all too familiar characteristic of Mexican men that I was only beginning to understand.. [Where in the World is Amy Gray Kirkcaldy? - Adjusting to life in Mexico]
He suggested only that he thought it generally better and more graceful, not crucial, to place the preposition before its relative "in solemn and elevated" writing.. [Ending with a preposition | Living the Liminal]
Solemn TranslatesSolemn English to Turkish Translate
s. ağır başlı, vakur; heybetli; ciddi; kutsal veya aziz tutulan; dinsel, dini törenle yerine getirilen; resmi, kanuna uygun. solemnly z. ciddiyet ve vakarla.s. ağır başlı, vakur; heybetli; ciddi; kutsal veya aziz tutulan; dinsel, dini törenle yerine getirilen; resmi, kanuna uygun. solemnly z. ciddiyet ve vakarla.