Sterile Wiki - What is the sterile?
What does the word sterile mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word sterile in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with sterile and anagrams of sterile.
Definitions of "sterile"
- Not producing or incapable of producing offspring. adjective
- Not producing or incapable of producing seed, fruit spores, or other reproductive structures. Used of plants or their parts. adjective
- Producing little or no vegetation; unfruitful: sterile land. adjective
- Free from live bacteria or other microorganisms: a sterile operating area; sterile instruments. adjective
- Lacking imagination, creativity, or vitality. adjective
- Lacking the power to function; not productive or effective; fruitless: a sterile discussion. adjective
- Unable to reproduce (or procreate). adjective
- Unprofitable. adjective
- Germless; free from all living or viable microorganisms. adjective
- Producing little or no crop; barren; unfruitful; unproductive; not fertile. adjective
- Incapable of reproduction; unfitted for reproduction of offspring; not able to germinate or bear fruit; unfruitful. adjective
- Free from reproductive spores or germs. adjective
- Fig.: Barren of ideas; destitute of sentiment. adjective
- Unfruitful; unproductive; not fertile.
- Barren; not reproducing its kind.
- In botany, of a flower, producing only stamens—that is, staminate or male (compare neutral); of a stamen, having no anther, or a functionless one; of an anther, without pollen; of an ovary, without perfect seeds; of a seed, without an embryo; of a frond, without sori. See cuts under Onoclea, Ophioglossum, sassafras, and smoke-tree.
- Free from living germs.
- Leading to no results; fruitless; profitless; useless.
The word "sterile" in example sentences
For starters, he's put off by what he calls the sterile look of modern evangelical churches.. [Latest Articles]
It feels sterile to me but sterile is better in my view than some crime-ridden shithole.. [Archive 2009-04-01]
His hands touched the tools, glanced off the handle of a modified bone-saw that lay with its harsh circular blade submerged in sterile solution.. [365 tomorrows » 2009 » September : A New Free Flash Fiction SciFi Story Every Day]
I agree with the first name basis – many companies foister this as a way of making people feel they are part of the “Team” – but too often business relationships remain sterile first name or not.. [FOCUS • by Oonah V Joslin]
Unlike the market-driven art featured in sterile, white box galleries, the work of Tokodi is meant to be touched, felt, and in turn touch you in the playful ways that her animated installations call to mind a more familiar, environmentally friendly state in the barren patches of urban existence.. [CLEAN GREEN LIVING GRAFFITI made from moss! | Inhabitat]
Burn victims, isolated in sterile rooms, later wincing in therapy as they learn to use their hands again, working through the pain.. [Acting Up]
Loosely wrap the areas in sterile bandages and reach medical help.. [Archive 2007-03-01]
Great posts and, yes, RSS feeds are largely sterile from a community standpoint.. [Why I hate RSS readers « Squash]
An all-but-irrelevant General Assembly usually engaged in sterile debate, wasting time, passing pointless resolutions on an agenda that just doesn't relate to the problems of the millions of real people with urgent needs thousands of miles away from the comforts of the General Assembly and New York City.. [The United Nations at a Crossroads]
After cooking time ends, let the can cool before opening and empty contents in sterile jar.. [Mr. C's Dulce De Leche Flapjacks]
In Western medicine, his urinary inflammation might be called sterile cystitis, a very frustrating thing to treat.. [The Last Chance Dog]
The move is what is called "sterile" in that the Fed is not committing additional funds as it did when it launched the quantitative easing packages that ended when QE2 wrapped up in June.. 
Scientists are exploring alternatives such as the decay of muon neutrinos into yet-to-be discovered particles or the transformation of muon neutrinos into a fourth type of neutrino, which is often called a sterile neutrino since it would not interact with ordinary matter like the other three known types of neutrinos.. [PhysOrg.com - latest science and technology news stories]
With respect to the word "sterile" as used for male or polleniferous flowers, it has always offended my ears dreadfully; on the same principle that it would to hear a potent stallion, ram or bull called sterile, because they did not bear, as well as beget, young.. [More Letters of Charles Darwin — Volume 1]
The fighters must go in "sterile"-without name tags or other identifying insignia-as a deniable covert force.. [TIME.com: Top Stories]
[snip] [John G. Kenedy Jr.], a hard-drinking bon vivant, was long assumed to have died in 1948 without heirs, sterile from a childhood case of the mumps.. [Archive 2005-09-01]