Sun Wiki - What is the sun?
What does the word sun mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word sun in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with sun and anagrams of sun.
Definitions of "sun"
- The star around which Earth and other planets orbit. It provides heat and light to Earth. It has a mean distance from Earth of about 150 million kilometers (93 million miles), a diameter of approximately 1,392,000 kilometers (865,000 miles), and a mass about 335,000 times that of Earth. noun
- A star that is the center of a planetary system. noun
- The radiant energy, especially heat and visible light, emitted by the sun; sunshine. noun
- A sunlike object, representation, or design. noun
- To expose to the sun's rays, as for warming, drying, or tanning. intransitive verb
- To expose oneself or itself to the sun. intransitive verb
- (in the sun) In the public eye. idiom
- (under the sun) On the earth; in the world. idiom
- The central body of the solar system, around which the earth and other planets revolve, retained in their orbits by its attraction, and supplied with energy by its radiance. noun
- The sunshine; a sunny place; a place where the beams of the sun fall: as, to stand in the sun (that is, to stand where the direct rays of the sun fall). noun
- Anything eminently splendid or luminous : that which is the chief source of light, honor, glory, or prosperity. noun
- The luminary or orb which constitutes the center of any system of worlds: as, the fixed stars may be suns in their respective systems. noun
- A revolution of the earth round the sun; a year. noun
- The rising of the sun; sunrise; day. noun
- In heraldry, a bearing representing the sun, usually surrounded by rays. noun
- In electric lighting, a group of incandescent lamps arranged concentrically under a reflector at, near, or in the ceiling of a room or auditorium. noun
- A Japanese measure of length, equal to of a meter, or 1.19 inches. noun
- An amended spelling of