Sympathetic Wiki - What is the sympathetic?
Sympathetic Sympathy, in psychology, a feeling of compassion or identification with another Sympathetic detonation, a detonation, usually unintended, of an explosive charge by a nearby explosion Sympathetic magic, in religion, magic, and anthropology, the belief that like affects like, that something can be influenced through its relationship with another thing Sympathetic nervous system, in neurology and neuroscience, a part of the autonomic nervous system Sympathetic resonance, a harmonic phenomenon wherein a body responds to external vibrations Sympathetic strings, in music theory, strings on a musical instrument that resonate without contact "Sympathetic", a song by Seether from Disclaimer II.
What does the word sympathetic mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word sympathetic in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with sympathetic and anagrams of sympathetic.
Definitions of "sympathetic"
- Of, expressing, feeling, or resulting from sympathy: a sympathetic glance. adjective
- Favorably inclined: not at all sympathetic to her proposal. adjective
- Agreeably suited to one's disposition or mood; congenial: sympathetic surroundings. adjective
- Of, relating to, or acting on the sympathetic nervous system: a sympathetic neuron; sympathetic stimulation. adjective
- Relating to or being vibrations, especially musical tones, produced in one body by energy from a nearby vibrating body and having the same frequency as the vibration of the nearby body. adjective
- Emitting such vibrations: sympathetic strings. adjective
- Of, related to, showing, or characterized by sympathy. adjective
- Of or relating to similarity. adjective
- Inclined to sympathy; sympathizing. adjective
- Produced by, or expressive of, sympathy. adjective
- Produced by sympathy; -- applied particularly to symptoms or affections. See Sympathy. adjective
- Of or relating to the sympathetic nervous system or some of its branches; produced by stimulation on the sympathetic nervious system or some part of it. adjective
- Pertaining to, expressive of, proceeding from, or exhibiting sympathy, in any sense; attended with sympathy.
- Having sympathy or common feeling with another; susceptible of being affected by feelings like those of another, or of altruistic feelings which arise as a consequence of what another feels.
- Harmonious; concordant; congenial.
- In anatomy and zoology, effecting a sympathy or consentaneous affection of the viscera and blood-vessels; uniting viscera and blood-vessels in a nervous action common to them all; inhibitory of or controlling the vital activities of viscera and blood-vessels, which are thereby subjected to a common nervous influence; specifically, of or pertaining to a special set of nerves or nervous system called the sympathetic. See below.
- In acoustics, noting sounds induced not by a direct vibration-producing force, but by vibrations conveyed through the air or other medium from a body already in vibration. The phenomena of resonance are properly examples of sympathetic sound.
- of four pairs of cranial ganglia;
The word "sympathetic" in example sentences
A biographer should be sympathetic; not blind, not indulgent, but _sympathetic_.. [Some Diversions of a Man of Letters]
Fandral, his expression sympathetic, interjected, You are weary, Hamuul, and I have been remiss in my treatment of you.. [WORLD OF WARCRAFT STORMRAGE]
The suit glanced over, his expression sympathetic.. [Deception Plan]
Sometimes, when you do render safe procedure like this and use a disruptor, sometimes there will be what they call a sympathetic detonation, where if it was a real bomb, sometimes it will go ahead and, you know, set that off.. [CNN Transcript Oct 21, 2005]
And sometimes you would get what they call a sympathetic detonation.. [CNN Transcript Oct 21, 2005]
Todd Thomas faulted the press for what he described as a sympathetic portrayal of Becker.. [The Fond du Lac Reporter Latest Headlines]
The transference of a vibration from one violin to another is called a sympathetic resonance, and it is possible only if both instruments are tuned.. [The Bushman Way of Tracking God]
The character I find most sympathetic is the president of Harvard, Lawrence Summers, onetime Clinton's treasury secretary and a rather dubious figure in some ways.. [The Social Network – review]
Namely, that judges on this circuit are not following the law (perhaps in sympathetic cases?) and then, perhaps, time permitting, explaining how and perhaps speculating as towhy.. [The Volokh Conspiracy » Is the Sixth Now the “Most Reversed” Circuit?]
I remain sympathetic to her lack of knowledge of her husband's false POW claims and and place responsibility on his failure to have truthfully and fully informed her of his military background prior to their fairly-recent marriage.. [Gerald Bluefeather Smith]
One of the reasons that I have been sympathetic is the lack of leadership on the Palestinian side strong enough to negotiate with.. [The Volokh Conspiracy » More on Israeli Incompetence]
Healy adopted an expression of sympathetic disbelief.. [The Priest]
What makes them so sympathetic is their self-awareness of both inclinations and the belief that the contradiction makes them faintly ludicrous.. [Counting Blessings « Tales from the Reading Room]
While it might be tempting for a writer to portray such a Dad as a one-dimensional, bullying ogre, Baillie treats him as a conflicted man, who, while not quite sympathetic, is quite human.. [Breakout Cartoonists: Liz Baillie » Fanboy.com]
Be that as it may, one can look back to classic sci-fi authors like Arthur C. Clarke, Ray Bradbury, Philip José Farmer and Michael Moorcock, and find they explored these issues in sympathetic and not-so-sympathetic ways, long before it became so popular in our time to include reference to God, so that we find Battlestar Galactica, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, and Heroes adding a sprinkled dose of religion and God-talk each week.. [MIND MELD: What's Your Favorite Sub-Genre of Science Fiction and/or Fantasy?]
I can forget, now, how frustrated I was; I can forget how I winced in sympathetic discomfort as she rubbed her face furiously with her (mercifully plush) toy frog, I can forget how tears pricked my eyes when she woke in the night, moaning and whimpering, squirming in her itchy condition.. [A Pox On Me | Her Bad Mother]
Sympathetic TranslatesSympathetic English to Turkish Translate
, ical s. karşısındakinin hislerine katılan; sevgi ve acıma belirten; uygun, ahenkli; anat. sempatik. sympathetic heart başkasının duygularından veya halinden anlayan kimse. sympathetic ink yazarken görünmeyip ateşe gösterilince meydana çıkan yazı mürekkebi. sympathetic nerve sempatik sinir. sympathetic pain başkasının kederinden dolayı duyulan acı. sympathetic sound bir sesin etkisiyle titreşen bir cismin çıkardığı seda. sympathetically z. sempati ile, karşısındakinin hislerine katılarak., ical s. karşısındakinin hislerine katılan; sevgi ve acıma belirten; uygun, ahenkli; anat. sempatik. sympathetic heart başkasının duygularından veya halinden anlayan kimse. sympathetic ink yazarken görünmeyip ateşe gösterilince meydana çıkan yazı mürekkebi. sympathetic nerve sempatik sinir. sympathetic pain başkasının kederinden dolayı duyulan acı. sympathetic sound bir sesin etkisiyle titreşen bir cismin çıkardığı seda. sympathetically z. sempati ile, karşısındakinin hislerine katılarak.