Synthetic Wiki - What is the synthetic?
What does the word synthetic mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word synthetic in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with synthetic and anagrams of synthetic.
Definitions of "synthetic"
- Relating to, involving, or of the nature of synthesis. adjective
- Chemistry Produced by synthesis, especially not of natural origin. adjective
- Not natural or genuine; artificial or contrived: "counterfeit rhetoric that flourishes when passions are synthetic” ( George F. Will). adjective
- Prepared or made artificially: synthetic leather. See Synonyms at artificial. adjective
- Linguistics Relating to or being a language, such as Latin or Russian, that uses inflectional affixes to express syntactic relationships. adjective
- Logic & Philosophy Relating to or being a proposition that attributes to a subject a predicate not inherent in the subject and that does not result in a contradiction if negated. adjective
- A synthetic chemical compound or material. noun
- Of, or relating to synthesis. adjective
- Produced by synthesis instead of being isolated from a natural source (but may be identical to a product so obtained). adjective
- Artificial, not genuine. adjective
- Pertaining to the joining of bound morphemes in a word. Compare analytic. adjective
- A synthetic compound. noun
- Of or pertaining to synthesis; consisting in synthesis or composition. adjective
- Artificial. Cf. Synthesis, 2. adjective
- Comprising within itself structural or other characters which are usually found only in two or more diverse groups; -- said of species, genera, and higher groups. See the Note under Comprehensive, 3. adjective
- Of or pertaining to synthesis; consisting in synthesis: as, the synthetic method of reasoning, as opposed to the analytical.
- In grammar, characterized by synthesis, or the combination of radical and formative elements into one word, as distinguished from their maintenance in separate words, which is analytic.
- In biology, of a general or comprehensive type of structure; combining in one organism characters which are to be specialized in several different organisms in the course of evolution; generalized, not specialized; undifferentiated.
- In chem., noting a substance made by artificial means, in the laboratory, in contradistinction to one produced without human agency, as in vegetables and animals. Thus indigo is produced from certain plants and may also be made artificially, or synthetically, from naphthalene.
The word "synthetic" in example sentences
It was on his recovery from his first grave attack that he shaped the plan which henceforth held him, of organising the modern sciences and incorporating them into what he called a synthetic philosophy.. [An Outline of the History of Christian Thought Since Kant]
But inactivating both of those enzymes caused what the researchers term synthetic lethality: two inactivations that separately were nonlethal but together cause bacterial death.. [PhysOrg.com - latest science and technology news stories]
Work in synthetic organic chemistry was also recognized in 1979 with the prize to Herbert C.. [The Nobel Prize in Chemistry: The Development of Modern Chemistry]
Police said Soto Reyes allegedly traded in synthetic drugs on routes established by former Sinaloa leader Ignacio "Nacho" Coronel, who was killed in a gunbattle with soldiers in July.. [Margarito Soto Reyes, Alleged Drug Trafficker, Arrested In Mexico]
Both are classified as synthetic opiates and in the same class of drugs as heroin, morphine and opium.. [Gregory Bunt, M.D.: The Prescription Opiate Arms Race]
For a tough use knife i would much prefer a syntheric over bone, wood, or stag because synthetic is typically tougher.. [which do you like the best for knife handles, synthetic, bone, wood or antler?]
Look for foods bearing the green-and-white USDA certified organic label, but be aware that foods labeled "made with organic ingredients" may still contain synthetic dyes.. [EatingWell: Trick or Treat: The Hidden Health Risks of Food Dyes]
The benefits: Foods labeled “natural” should not contain synthetic food dyes.. [EatingWell: Food Label Lies: How to Sort Truth From Hype]
The ultimate in synthetic selling: A Madison Avenue masterpiece – a miracle – a cotton-candy politician … Presto!. [Archive 2008-01-01]
It comes only in synthetic-stock models (black or camo) with inlaid rubber gripping surfaces in place of checkering.. [The Best Guns of the Year]
A scientist who specializes in synthetic mucus is convinced one of the dog show fanatics broke into his lab to steal some.. [Eureka Recap: Best In Faux : SF Universe - SF Universe is your Science Fiction central. From SciFi television to movies to books and more. All the latest news, reviews and insights from SciFi experts.]
I just bought a used Browning A-Bolt II in synthetic and stainless steel with a BOSS in .243 Win. for $550 this weekend and it's a tack driver.. [Rifle Shopping at a Shotgun Shop]
"Organic objects in synthetic skin" convey "pacific values aiming at individual blossoming.". [October 2007]
But then I think that some of these proteins being encoded will be performing tasks such as ensuring that the protein synthetic machinery accurately synthesizes proteins.. [A Genomic Balancing Act]
What if these seemingly irrelevant mutations impinge on the construction of the protein synthetic machinery?. [A Genomic Balancing Act]
With faster Internet speeds, individuals who play video games are now capable of competing in synthetic worlds with friends across the Internet or on Local Area Networks, leading to the manifestation of competitive leagues like the Cyberathlete Professional League.. [CITASA Mini-Conference in SL]