Top Wiki - What is the top?
What does the word top mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word top in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with top and anagrams of top.
Definitions of "top"
- The uppermost part, point, surface, or end. noun
- The part farthest from a given reference point: took a jump shot from the top of the key. noun
- The crown of the head: from top to toe. noun
- The part of a plant, such as a rutabaga, that is above the ground. noun
- Something, such as a lid or cap, that covers or forms an uppermost part. noun
- A garment worn on the upper half of the body, especially a sweater or knit shirt. noun
- Nautical A platform enclosing the head of each mast of a sailing ship, to which the topmast rigging is attached. noun
- The highest degree, pitch, or point; the peak, acme, or zenith: "It had come at a time when he was not feeling at the top of his form” ( Anthony Powell). noun
- The highest position or rank: at the top of his profession. noun
- A person in this position. noun
- Games The highest card or cards in a suit or hand. noun
- The best part. noun
- The earliest part or beginning: She played the piece again, from the top. noun
- Baseball The first half of an inning. noun
- Sports A stroke that lands above the center of a ball, as in golf or tennis, giving it a forward spin. noun
- Sports A forward spin on a ball resulting from such a stroke. noun
- Situated at the top: the top shelf. adjective
- Of the highest degree, quality, rank, or amount: in top form; the top ten bestsellers. adjective
- In a position of preeminence: the top historian in her department. adjective