Touchdown Wiki - What is the touchdown?
A touchdown is a scoring play in both American and Canadian football. Whether running, passing, returning a kickoff or punt, or recovering a turnover, a team scores a touchdown by advancing the ball into the opponent's end zone..
What does the word touchdown mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word touchdown in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with touchdown and anagrams of touchdown.
Definitions of "touchdown"
- Football An act of carrying, receiving, or gaining possession of the ball across the opponent's goal line for a score of six points. noun
- The contact, or moment of contact, of a landing aircraft or spacecraft with the landing surface. noun
- A six-point score occurring when the ball enters possession of a team's player in the opponent's end zone. Analogous to a try in rugby. noun
- The moment when an aircraft makes first or final contact with the ground during a landing. noun
- A try noun
- The act of touching the football down behind the opponents' goal; also the score (6 points) resulting from such a play. noun
- In foot-ball, the touching of the ball to the ground by a player behind his opponent's goal; the play by which this is done. noun
- a landing (as the wheels touch the landing field); especially of airplanes noun
- a score in American football; being in possession of the ball across the opponents' goal line noun
- come or bring (a plane) to a landing verb
The word "touchdown" in example sentences
"Ending it on a pick returned for a touchdown is an extremely disappointing thing," said Delhomme, who completed 13-of-25 passes for 153 yards and one touchdown with two interceptions.. [USATODAY.com]
He played tight end at The Citadel and led the nation in touchdown receptions — in 1959.. [Maguire will take reduced role in ESPN college football coverage]
Hearing that a team scored only one touchdown is bad, until you find out that no one else scored at all in any other games.. [David C. Wilson: What's the Real Story behind Obama's Poll Numbers? They're all Relative.]
Jaworski and became the franchise's all-time leader in touchdown passes. [UFR: Earth, Wind combine for rare feat]
A touchdown is a touchdown, no matter what unit scores.. [For Super Bowl winners, the most vital stat to victory is ...]
Campbell found tight end Zach Miller uncovered for a 43-yard walk-in touchdown for a 7-0 lead.. [Broncos Embarrassed By Rival Raiders At Home]
Even getting more than one touchdown is a vast improvement.. [Alyssa Jung: Bills Fall to Pats, But Keep the Hope Alive]
•Wide receiver: Greg Jennings is an emerging star and will soon get a hefty raise if he keeps hauling in touchdown strikes from Rodgers.. [Will offseason corrections have Packers reaching for the sky?]
No. 18 Tulsa at Arkansas, 2 p.m. Golden Hurricane offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn returns with his high-powered attack led by quarterback David Johnson, who leads the nation in touchdown passes.. [Lots of questions to be solved in home stretch of season]
Cantwell threw for 212 yards and ran in Louisville's other touchdown from the 1.. [USATODAY.com]
Brown scored the decisive touchdown from the single-wing formation the Dolphins revived two weeks ago, and a goal-line stand in the fourth quarter preserved a seven-point lead.. [USATODAY.com]
John Fox didn't know it at the time, but when starting quarterback Jake Delhomme left the field last year with what turned out to be a season-ending elbow injury, the Carolina Panthers coach lost the player who would lead his team in touchdown passes for the season … and that was in Week 3.. [Panthers' hopes pinned to Delhomme's scarred elbow]
He leaves the NFL as its all-time leader not only in touchdown passes but in interceptions.. [And now Favre's gone; what's next for Packers?]
The I-A career leader in touchdown passes (131) could not find the end zone on this night.. [USATODAY.com]
We'll be listening for the word touchdown in something like 50 different languages.. [CNN Transcript Sep 25, 2006]
The story of a game against Killeen in 1968 during which a woman hit the referee with her purse after he called a touchdown is told by Hugh Sullivan, former coach and athletic director.. [Temple Daily Telegram News Feed]
Touchdown TranslatesTouchdown English to Turkish Translate
i. Amerikan futbolunda gol.i. Amerikan futbolunda gol.