Trance Wiki - What is the trance?
Trance is an abnormal state of wakefulness in which a person is not self-aware and is either altogether unresponsive to external stimuli but is nevertheless capable of pursuing and realizing an aim, or is selectively responsive in following the directions of the person who has induced the trance. Trance states may occur involuntarily and unbidden. The term trance may be associated with hypnosis, meditation, magic, flow, and prayer. It may also be related to the earlier generic term, altered states of consciousness, which is no longer used in "consciousness studies" discourse..
What does the word trance mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word trance in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with trance and anagrams of trance.
Definitions of "trance"
- A hypnotic, cataleptic, or ecstatic state. noun
- Detachment from one's physical surroundings, as in contemplation or daydreaming. noun
- A semiconscious state, as between sleeping and waking; a daze. noun
- To put into a trance; entrance. verb-transitive
- A dazed or unconscious condition. noun
- A state of concentration, awareness and/or focus that filters information and experience; e.g. meditation, possession, etc. noun
- A state of low response to stimulus and diminished, narrow attention. noun
- The previous state induced by hypnosis. noun
- Trance music, a genre of electronic dance music. noun
- To pass; to travel. verb
- A tedious journey. noun
- A state in which the soul seems to have passed out of the body into another state of being, or to be rapt into visions; an ecstasy. noun
- A condition, often simulating death, in which there is a total suspension of the power of voluntary movement, with abolition of all evidences of mental activity and the reduction to a minimum of all the vital functions so that the patient lies still and apparently unconscious of surrounding objects, while the pulsation of the heart and the breathing, although still present, are almost or altogether imperceptible. noun
- To pass; to travel. verb-intransitive
- To entrance. verb-transitive
- To pass over or across; to traverse. verb-transitive
- To tramp; travel.
- To entrance; place in or as in a trance or rapture.
- To hold or bind with or as with a charm or spell; overspread or shroud as with a spell; charm; enchant.
The word "trance" in example sentences
However, Stangl first confessed on Austrian state television that he faked the feat in what he described as a trance-like state brought on by fear of failure.. [Austrian Mountaineer Admits Faking Climb]
Maria was living in what I call the trance of fear.. 
A large collection of links to videos of people in trance states.. [Boing Boing]
If I have a chance to meet him, I will tell him that basically I love inexplicable true-event based stories and his stories has successfully left my mind in trance since they seem real but stand beyond it, which makes me wanting to read more and more of his works.. [Influenced by One Sensible Sentence « Write Anything]
Power of Music, the people's temporary trance is hardly stern but it is a civic event or even a civic religion: they stand apart, together, in a concentrated present.. [Captivation and Liberty in Wordsworth's Poems on Music]
Another bonus, and I hope I won't get misunderstood: while you're in trance, your avie has the most stupid expression ever, like she'll start drooling in just a second .... [Get me excited about 'XCite']
Canadian rock art interested us because of a traditional Algonkian Indian belief that manitous – spirits – lived inside rocks and cliff-faces, and that shamans in trance could enter the rock surfaces and meet with them in order to exchange tobacco offerings for supernatural power, usually referred to as “rock medicine”.. [Boing Boing: January 23, 2005 - January 29, 2005 Archives]
I just eats it: D if this stuff does interest u, my blog is sta8love8. blogspot.com.i put up articles on whacky nonse liek this all teh time. also if u liek dis musakz its called trance check out my favorites to see moar trance. [WN.com - Articles related to Going Organic: UCSC Farm and Garden Market Cart opens today with fresh flowers and produce]
Raptures and trance, in my opinion, are all one, only I am in the habit of using the word trance instead of rapture, because the latter word frightens people; and, indeed, the union of which. [The Life of St. Teresa of Jesus]
It's the music I resort to when I have to get into that "trance" - never lift the pencil/wacom pen until I'm finished.. [Music While Painting]
Hercules And Love Affair leader Andy Butler has revealed that his band are working on a "trance" - driven second album. collective's new material has been heavily influenced by. [NME.COM - News]
The exception and Build Your Own Traffic And Profit Generation Network, because trance is us an indication.. [Money Magazine « Notes from the BillMonk]
All these meanings have been associated with the notion of trance, a word etymologically rooted to the Middle English traunce, the Old French transe, and the Latin transpire, which refer to a passage or means of going over or across.. [The Bushman Way of Tracking God]
I was in, uh, I guess what you would call a trance.. [John Cafferty On the Dark Side]
He even asked me for advice with recruiting new employees from college fairs, along with sharing his desire to acquire souped-up street-racer-cars and appreciation for big-name trance music djs.. [iPod Mechanic Stole Over 9,000 iPods From Apple, Feds Say - The Consumerist]
If I know that I'm writing about Botswana, I then just almost go into a trance, which is a curious thing.. [Vickie Karp: Third Screen: A Big HBO Series About a Woman Named Precious]
Trance TranslatesTrance English to Turkish Translate
i., f. dalınç, esrime, vecit hali, istiğrak; kendinden geçme; ruhun yücelmesi; f. vecit haline koymak; teshir etmek, büyülemek.i., f. dalınç, esrime, vecit hali, istiğrak; kendinden geçme; ruhun yücelmesi; f. vecit haline koymak; teshir etmek, büyülemek.
News about trance
Nicole Kidman’s top 10 films - ranked!
Whether cast against type in Destroyer or displaying an almost spiritual mystery in The Others, Kidman has the power to mesmerise an audience This was the performance that earned Nicole Kidman her Oscar for best actress – playing Virginia Woolf in an agonised…
What did I gain when I gave up alcohol? A love of trainers, mostly | Hannah Jane Parkinson
The more garish, the better Three years ago, I became sober for a year – despite the best efforts and influence of a good friend and esteemed colleague who shall remain nameless ( Zoe Williams ). There were a lot of things I noticed about going from someone w…
THE BUREAU: Part Eleven, "Your Supervisor Disintegrates" — with a Gysin Dream Machine, an Altman Brain Machine, and Other Hallucinatory Hardware
Week Eleven for The Bureau has you returning back to the office. The HR Video Terminal has a few exit questions, as this will be your last day. While you're completing that, be sure to plug on a Brain Machine and get the Gysin DM spinning.