Utmost Wiki - What is the utmost?
What does the word utmost mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word utmost in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with utmost and anagrams of utmost.
Definitions of "utmost"
- Being or situated at the most distant limit or point; farthest: the utmost tip of the peninsula. adjective
- Of the highest or greatest degree, amount, or intensity; most extreme: a matter of the utmost importance. adjective
- The greatest possible amount, degree, or extent; the maximum: worked every day to the utmost of her abilities. noun
- Situated at the most distant limit; farthest adjective
- The most extreme; ultimate; greatest adjective
- maximum; greatest possible amount or quantity. noun
- Situated at the farthest point or extremity; farthest out; most distant; extreme. adjective
- Being in the greatest or highest degree, quantity, number, or the like; greatest. adjective
- The most that can be; the farthest limit; the greatest power, degree, or effort. noun
- Being at the furthest point or extremity or bound; furthest; extreme; last.
- Of the greatest or highest degree, number, quantity, or the like: as, the utmost assiduity; the utmost harmony; the utmost misery or happiness.
- The extreme limit or extent. noun
- the greatest possible degree noun
- of the greatest possible degree or extent or intensity adjective
- highest in extent or degree adjective
- (comparatives of `far') most remote in space or time or order adjective
The word "utmost" in example sentences
Jiang says local authorities are treating the situation in what she described as the utmost seriousness.. [China Determined to Suppress Inner Mongolia Protesters]
The pictures taken just before Myanmar's foreign minister claims security personnel had exercised what he called the utmost restraint.. [CNN Transcript Oct 3, 2007]
The pictures taken just before Myanmar's foreign minister claimed security personnel had exercised what he called the utmost restraint.. [CNN Transcript Oct 2, 2007]
The images just smuggled out by men and women who risked their lives are at least two days old, the pictures taken just before Myanmar's foreign minister claimed security personnel had exercised what he called the utmost restraint.. [CNN Transcript Oct 2, 2007]
There is also that which we call the utmost perfection, and that is it which cannot be added to, or taken from him; and so God only is perfect.. [Works of John Bunyan — Volume 03]
And, by the way; Chiapas is not a place with beautiful beaches but has a huge, uninviting and undeveloped coastal region of dismal black sand and turbid Pacific coastal waters interspersed with poverty stricken and impossibly hot and humid villages existing in utmost poverty.. [Plan Puebla-Panama. Yay or Nay?]
But he does show a passionate interest in this life, and a very strong belief in the importance of the way it is lived in relations to our fellows, so that we may gain the utmost from the ripening processes of experience and of love.. [Shakespeare as Christ]
Where it had been there was a scar, a deep, magnificent yellow tear that split the purple sky in utmost evasiveness.. [365 tomorrows » 2009 » October : A New Free Flash Fiction SciFi Story Every Day]
At the finish of his term the utmost that he can expect in the way of reward not expressible in terms of the national currency is that not much more than one-half of his countrymen will believe him a scoundrel to the end of their days.. [The Shadow On The Dial, and Other Essays 1909]
Soldiers are required to do what's called their utmost and to render assistance to their comrades.. [CNN Transcript Nov 7, 2003]
The generous heart of the beast understood the touch, and the splendid muscles coined their utmost strength, squandering it in a spendthrift, willing energy.. [The Justice of the King]
Indeed, it was now especially important that she should exert her powers of working to the utmost, which is probably the reason that little remains to show as product of this period.. [Mary Wollstonecraft]
Comparing this condition of the law with the text of the Twelve Tables which concedes in terms the utmost liberty of Testation, several writers have been tempted to interweave a good deal of dramatic incident into their history of the Law Testamentary.. [Ancient Law Its Connection to the History of Early Society]
'And ye shall have the tribulation of ten days', -- that is, the utmost extent of tribulation; beyond which there is nothing further, as there is no number beyond ten.. [The Literary Remains of Samuel Taylor Coleridge]
_secondly_ -- and this is really just as important as firstly -- doing our utmost to grasp our national purpose, doing our utmost, that is, to develop and carry out our National Plan.. [An Englishman Looks at the World]
I have a trouble here, -- "and he touched the region of his heart," which the wise doctors say may end my days at any moment; two years at the utmost is the ultimatum of my life, so I want to know from you, whom I know to be intelligent and honest, whether you believe I am going to another existence, -- and if so, what sort of a one you think is in prospect for such a man as I am?. [The Master-Christian]