Verse Wiki - What is the verse?
What does the word verse mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word verse in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with verse and anagrams of verse.
Definitions of "verse"
- To play against (an opponent) in a competition. transitive verb
- To familiarize by study or experience. transitive verb
- A single metrical line in a poetic composition; one line of poetry. noun
- A division of a metrical composition, such as a stanza of a poem or hymn. noun
- A poem. noun
- Metrical or rhymed composition as distinct from prose; poetry. noun
- The art or work of a poet. noun
- A group of poems. noun
- Metrical writing that lacks depth or artistic merit. noun
- A particular type of metrical composition, such as blank verse or free verse. noun
- One of the numbered subdivisions of a chapter in the Bible. noun
- To versify or engage in versifying. transitive & intransitive verb
- To turn; revolve, as in meditation.
- To relate or express in verse; turn into verse or rime.
- To make verses.
- In heraldry, reversed or turned in a direction unusual to the bearing in question. Also
- In prosody: A succession of feet (colon or period) written or printed in one line; a line: as, a poem of three hundred verses; hence, a type of metrical composition, as represented by a metrical line; a meter. A verse may be catalectic, dimeter, trimeter, iambic, dactylic, rimed, unrimed, alliterative, etc. noun
The word "verse" in example sentences
Eusebius  and Cyril  having quoted 'the parable of the wicked husbandmen' _in extenso_ (viz. from verse 33 to verse 43), _leave off at verse_ 43.. [The Causes of the Corruption of the Traditional Text of the Holy Gospels Being the Sequel to The Traditional Text of the Holy Gospels]
I remember the great English poet, William Morris, coming in a381 rage out of some lecture hall where somebody had recited some passage out of his Sigurd the Volsung, ‘It gave me a devil of a lot of trouble’, said Morris, ‘to get that thing into verse’.382 It gave me the devil of a lot of trouble to get into verse the poems that I am going to read and that is why I will not read them as if they were prose.. [Later Articles and Reviews]
Since Qur'an is not poetry, the term verse is not appropriate. .... [GotPoetry.com News]
Save for the line from Shakespeare and the terms from the episode, I guess the rest of the verse is a series original (is it?).. [Eden of the East – What mystery dost thou holdeth? « Undercover]
There is a translation of it in English verse, that is little short of the original.. [George Selwyn: His Letters and His Life]
They are simple tales, told in English verse, which is characterised by a purity and a simplicity that are very noteworthy in an Indian writer, and which show considerable acquaintance of the. [Tales of Ind And Other Poems]
On this awkward affair one of my acquaintance wrote a copy of what we called verse; I liked it, but fancied I could compose something more to the purpose: I tried, and by the unanimous suffrage of my shop-mates was allowed to have succeeded.. [The Mirror of Taste, and Dramatic Censor, Vol. I, No. 5, May 1810]
Twenty years of his life were given to politics and statecraft, and his verse is the product not only of his own genius, but of the national spirit of Puritanism – which was the desire to establish the kingdom of God upon earth.. [Marriage as a Trade]
This verse is the expression of her exultation and the affirmation of her AÑÑĀ. 89 84. [Psalms of the Sisters]
There is a translation of it in English verse, that is little short of the original.. [George Selwyn His Letters and His Life]
These are the inheritances -- This verse is the formal close of the section which narrates the history of the land distribution; and to stamp it with due importance, the names of the commissioners are repeated, as well as the spot where so memorable a transaction took place.. [Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible]
This verse is a recapitulation of what was more fully stated before, Judah's sin and consequent punishment.. [Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible]
In striking agreement with this verse is the fact that the Assyrian sculptures lately discovered have painted and colored bas-reliefs in red, blue, and black.. [Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible]
Thus this verse is an anticipation of Re 11: 15-18. declared to -- Greek, "declared the glad tidings to.". [Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible]
This verse is the hearty response to the stirring call,. [Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible]
This verse is the summary of the vision that follows: the angels do not actually receive the vials till Re 15: 7; but here, in Re 15: 1, by anticipation they are spoken of as having them.. [Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible]