Wise Wiki - What is the wise?
What does the word wise mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word wise in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with wise and anagrams of wise.
Definitions of "wise"
- Method or manner of doing; way. noun
- Having the ability to discern or judge what is true, right, or lasting; sagacious. adjective
- Exhibiting common sense; prudent. adjective
- Shrewd; crafty. adjective
- Provided with information; informed. Often used with to. adjective
- Rude and disrespectful; impudent. adjective
- To make or become aware, informed, or sophisticated. phrasal verb
- Quite aware; knowing; cognizant of.
- Way; manner; mode; guise; style: now seldom used as an independent word, except in such phrases as in any wise, in no wise, on this wise. noun
- To guide; direct; lead or send in a particular direction.
- To turn; incline; twist.
- Having the power of discerning and judging rightly, or of discriminating between what is true and what is false, between that which is right, fit, and proper and that which is unsuitable, injudicious, and wrong; possessed of discernment, discretion, and judgment: as, a wise prince; a wise magistrate.
- Proper to a wise man; sage; grave; serious.
- Having knowledge; knowing; intelligent; enlightened; learned; erudite.
- Practically or experimentally knowing; experienced; versed or skilled; dexterous; cunning; subtle; specifically, skilled in some hidden art, as magic or divination: as, the soothsayers and tho wise men.
- Religious; pious; godly.
- Dictated, directed, or guided by wisdom; containing wisdom; judicious: as, a wise saying; a wise scheme or plan; wise conduct or direction; a wise determination.
- A midwife.