Wonder Wiki - What is the wonder?
What does the word wonder mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word wonder in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with wonder and anagrams of wonder.
Definitions of "wonder"
- The emotion aroused by something awe-inspiring, astounding, or surprising. noun
- The quality that arouses such emotion. noun
- One that arouses awe, astonishment, surprise, or admiration; a marvel. noun
- A monumental human creation regarded with awe, especially one of seven monuments of the ancient world that appeared on various lists of late antiquity. noun
- An extraordinary or remarkable act or achievement. noun
- An event inexplicable by the laws of nature; a miracle. noun
- To have a feeling of awe, astonishment, surprise, or admiration. intransitive verb
- To be filled with curiosity or doubt. intransitive verb
- To feel curiosity or be in doubt about. intransitive verb
- Remarkable or extraordinary, especially in being beneficial. adjective
- (do wonders) To have a beneficial effect. idiom
- (for a wonder) As a cause for surprise; surprisingly. idiom
- To be affected with wonder or surprise; marvel; be amazed: formerly with a reflexive dative.
- To look with or feel admiration.
- To entertain some doubt or curiosity in reference to some matter; speculate expectantly; be in a state of expectation mingled with doubt and slight anxiety or wistfulness: as, I wonder whether we shall reach the place in time: hence, I wonder is often equivalent to ‘I should like to know.’
- To be curious about; wish to know; speculate in regard to: as, I wonder where John has gone.