Yeast Wiki - What is the yeast?
What does the word yeast mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word yeast in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with yeast and anagrams of yeast.
Definitions of "yeast"
- Any of various unicellular fungi of the genus Saccharomyces, especially S. cerevisiae, reproducing by budding and from ascospores and capable of fermenting carbohydrates. noun
- Any of various similar fungi. noun
- Froth consisting of yeast cells together with the carbon dioxide they produce in the process of fermentation, present in or added to fruit juices and other substances in the production of alcoholic beverages. noun
- A powdered or compressed commercial preparation, having yeast cells and inert material such as meal and used chiefly as a leavening agent or as a dietary supplement. noun
- Foam; froth. noun
- An agent of ferment or activity: political agitators who are the yeast of revolution. noun
- To ferment. verb-intransitive
- To froth or foam. verb-intransitive
- An often humid, yellowish froth produced by fermenting malt worts, and used to brew beer, leaven bread, and also used in certain medicines. noun
- A type of single-celled fungus. noun
- A compressed cake or dried granules of this substance used for mixing with flour to make bread dough rise. noun
- A frothy foam. noun
- To ferment. verb
- To rise. verb
- The foam, or troth (top yeast), or the sediment (bottom yeast), of beer or other in fermentation, which contains the yeast plant or its spores, and under certain conditions produces fermentation in saccharine or farinaceous substances; a preparation used for raising dough for bread or cakes, and making it light and puffy; barm; ferment. noun
- Spume, or foam, of water. noun
- To ferment.
- A yellowish substance, having an acid reaction, produced during the alcoholic fermentation of saccharine fluids, rising partly to the surface in the form of a frothy, flocculent, viscid matter (top or surface yeast), and partly falling to the bottom (bottom or sediment yeast). noun
- Spumc or foam of water; froth. noun