Agar Wiki - What is the agar?
What does the word agar mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word agar in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with agar and anagrams of agar.
Definitions of "agar"
- A gelatinous material derived from certain marine algae. It is used as a base for bacterial culture media and as a stabilizer and thickener in many food products. noun
- A culture medium containing this material. noun
- The aloes-wood or calambac, Aquilaria Agallocha. noun
- Same as
acker, eager. noun
- Same as
- common shortened form of
- any culture medium that uses agar as the gelling agent; -- used especially with a modifying prefix, . The term is applied both to the dehydrated medium powder containing
agarand to the gelatinous medium prepared from it. noun
gelatinousmaterial obtained from the marine algae, used as a bacterial culture medium, in electrophoresisand as a food additive. noun
agarose, the principle constituent of the commercial gel. noun
- any culture medium that uses agar as the gelling agent noun
- a colloidal extract of algae; used especially in culture media and as a gelling agent in foods noun