Dollar Wiki - What is the dollar?
What does the word dollar mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word dollar in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with dollar and anagrams of dollar.
Definitions of "dollar"
- A coin or note that is worth one dollar. noun
- The English name of the large silver German coin called
thaler: also applied to similar coins of the Low Countries and of Scandinavia; to the large silver coin of Spain, the celebrated “Spanish dollar,” or peso, also called pillar dollar(from its figure of the Pillars of Hercules) and piece of eight (as containing 8 reals); and later to a large silver coin succeeding the Spanish dollar in Spanish America. noun
- The monetary unit or standard of value of the United States and Canada, containing 100 cents, and equal to about 4s. 1⅓d. English. noun
- A silver coin of the United States containing 371.25 grains of silver and 41.25 grains of alloy, that is, having a total weight of 412.5 grains. noun
- A gold coin of the United States containing 23.22 grains of gold and 2.58 grains of alloy, that is, having a total weight of 25.8 grains, nine-tenths fine. It is no longer coined. noun
- A coin of the same general weight and value as the United States silver dollar, though differing slightly in different countries, formerly current in Mexico, Canada, parts of South America, also in Spain, and several other European countries. noun
- The value of a dollar; the unit of currency, differing in value in different countries, commonly employed in the United States and a number of other countries, including Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, parts of the Carribbean, Liberia, and several others. noun
- See under 9th
- a fish of the United States coast (
Stromateus triacanthus), having a flat, roundish form and a bright silvery luster; -- called also butterfish, and Lafayette. See Butterfish. noun
- a silver coin formerly made at the United States mint, intended for export, and not legal tender at home. It contained 378 grains of silver and 42 grains of alloy. noun
- Official designation for
currencyin some parts of the world, including Canada, Australia, the United States, Hong Kong, and elsewhere. Its symbol is $. noun
- a United States coin worth one dollar noun
- a symbol of commercialism or greed noun
- a piece of paper money worth one dollar noun
- the basic monetary unit in many countries; equal to 100 cents noun